• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stator? Bucking and Backfiring

Carone

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having issues with bucking and backfiring above 2,000 RPMs at cruising speed in my 88 Comanche 4.0l. After replacing and fixing a number of parts I've narrowed the problem down to the ignition. I test the coil and stator and both seemed fine. I wasn't confident in the stator test because it didn't have a range of spec values, so I disconnected the stator and took the truck for a drive. It ran the the same way it did with it connected. Is it safe to assume that is is bad?

Well, without the stator connected the ECU is not receiving a signal to synchronize the injectors.

The question is, is it the sensor itself or the wiring?

It is getting 5 volts to the sensor and i can see the signal pulse on an analog multimeter. How do I test to see if the computer is getting a signal?

Have you tried to turn the rotor by hand? Should only be a couple degrees of movement. Sometimes the roll pin holding the gear to the shaft will come apart and give these symptoms.

Not much at all. The rotor is mechanically locked to the drive gear down at the bottom, so you'll only have the tolerance stackup of the rotor/shaft interface plus the freeplay between the cam gear and distributor gear. It should not be able to move anywhere near as much as an old school mechanical advance distributor.

Back