• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy from Vegas, my first XJ

Ryands650x

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i just picked up a 97 XJ sport with 106k for $1500. Ive gone through tons of threads trying to answer my own questions but havnt found what im looking for, so im gonna throw out some questions....

Keep in mind this is my DD and id like to run 31's.

I have decided to go no higher that 3" coils probably from rough country(decided on 3" because of the driveline problems ive read about if you go higher), deavers for the rear and would rather spend my money a good shocks.

What do you guys recomend for shocks??

I will use this truck for getting out to desert races and duning monthly. I have no intentions on making this a racer, just a smooth DD that i can have a little fun with.

thanks for the help guys.

IMHO, stay away from Rough Country. I personally like Rubicon Express stuff, but then again I'm slightly biased. Make sure you get lower arms too and not just coils - you need a slightly longer lower arm to maintain your caster.

I run all rough country in the front of my Mj and i have not had any issues, and it rides great. Their quality has certainly risen in the past few years.

x2 on rubicon express. I have a superflex and i love it. Im on 32 with a generous fender trim and stuff them all over the inner fenders front and rear... Also stay away from any add a leaf, you prolly know. As far as shocks, if your gonna be runnin dunes and runnin around in the desert, id go external reservoir, you wont regret it. Hope it helps man.

Josh

IMO 3" isn't enough travel to get you a smooth runner, there's nothing wrong with going 5.5, not sure what issues you're hearing of unless you mean you don't want to run a slip yoke eliminator. Which you will end up doing regardless, and you'll end up going higher, might as well do it first.

If you're dead set on 3" though, my recommendation would be to pick up a set of 3.5" full traction coils, they're the closest thing to a jeepspeed 3" you can get. They performed very well on my Jeep. Not sure how you're going to run a deaver 3" in the rear, as deavers will require aftermarket shackles. Most deavers are factory set at 4" and designed to run with a 1.5" shackle, giving you the 5.5" most people end up with.

Rough country makes a great product for cheap, stay away from their shocks, they're just rebranded white rockets and have issues. I'm running their drop brackets with good luck so far, they're welded up though not bolted. I know they have some new LCA's and UCA's out that you may want to check out, they're pretty cheap, not sure on quality.

Springs you're in the right direction with Deavers, but again like I said I'd reconsider the 3" route. A 5.5 on 33's with a SYE with Deavers front and rear, and a set of 2.0's isn't that expensive to build and will do more than most will ever ask of their Jeep.

Ryan, I posted my thoughts for you on the Bronco forums. Keep focuse on the bronco. Ahahah.

So, jim is right, 3 incheswont give you a ton of travel but it will make for a fun ride. I will also tell you against what all these guys say, I ran rough county leafs for 2 and a half years, and they worked great. If your not planning on keep the xj forever, go with the rough country coils and leafs, and buy a good set of shocks (bilstein 7100 or Fox) and the Xj will run very damn good. If your gonna keep the xj and hit the desert hard, 4-5 inches of lift, and go with deavers all around. Also, if your keeping the Jepp, plate the unibody, you will start cracking it all over with the hard core runs.
Now, post some pics of the deal you got!!

Ryan, I posted my thoughts for you on the Bronco forums. Keep focuse on the bronco. Ahahah.

So, jim is right, 3 incheswont give you a ton of travel but it will make for a fun ride. I will also tell you against what all these guys say, I ran rough county leafs for 2 and a half years, and they worked great. If your not planning on keep the xj forever, go with the rough country coils and leafs, and buy a good set of shocks (bilstein 7100 or Fox) and the Xj will run very damn good. If your gonna keep the xj and hit the desert hard, 4-5 inches of lift, and go with deavers all around. Also, if your keeping the Jepp, plate the unibody, you will start cracking it all over with the hard core runs.
Now, post some pics of the deal you got!!

Tony, post the link to your original 3" and 31's thread and then how you ended up. haha

Thanks for all the help guys, really good info! The jeep isnt gonna go hardcore, just something to clear 31's and i can drive to work. The Bronco is gonna be the serious prerunner. I think im gonna stick to the rough counrty game plan for the jeep, im not looking to spend a ton of money on it just need a capeable little ride and something my lady can still get in and out of and drive if necessary.
Ill post up some pics after i give her a bath! (the jeep not the GF.....haha)

Last edited:
Two other cool things about rough country..... They stand by their product, and they ship lightning fast!

I found a guy here in vegas with a bunch of different FOA reservoir shocks for sale. What stroke should i be looking for?
Hes got 2.0's and 2.5's i know bigger is better...
How much am i looking at to rebulild and revalve?
Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

I am running a Rubicon express front end & deavers with RE shackles in the rear, I spent the money on the good sh!t & now i am very happy. My Xj does every thing i ask it to.

I found a guy here in vegas with a bunch of different FOA reservoir shocks for sale. What stroke should i be looking for?
Hes got 2.0's and 2.5's i know bigger is better...
How much am i looking at to rebulild and revalve?
Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?
What length's and prices for these? You have to cycle your suspension to to see how long you can go. What's this guy want for a 2.5x12" resi ?

Care to validate that comment...... I'd say budget has nothing to do with it. It depends on what your gonna use it for. Desert racing, go bronco. Trail riding and rock crawling, go xj.

Driving around town, they both get lousy mileage.. So that's a dead point.

If your on a budget I would stick with the XJ. Over the bronco.

Tony and I were just discussing this the other day. He says if you spend wisely he has noticed better gains for the money in the bronco vs. his xj. C&T beams and springs (bronco) for the cost of a long arm upgrade (xj). So the best thing to do is sit down and write out plans for both (realistic plans) then price them and see where you end up.

Tony and I were just discussing this the other day. He says if you spend wisely he has noticed better gains for the money in the bronco vs. his xj. C&T beams and springs (bronco) for the cost of a long arm upgrade (xj). So the best thing to do is sit down and write out plans for both (realistic plans) then price them and see where you end up.

Super true....... also, this is for a vehicle focused on prerunning, and desert riding. If your planning on focusing on trail riding and rock crawling... then it may be a different story.

And I a sure someone will point out gas mileage. Andy got 16 or 17 mpgs on his Bronco (on 33s) fwy, which is close to what you get on a Xj with 31-33inch tires.

Ok let me clear this up fellas...
I had NO intention of ever owning an XJ. I got a smokin deal on it and grabbed it up for a great price. Im a big dude and the XJ isnt ideal for me but will be a great asset for a trade when i find the Bronco i want.
A fullsize is a must for me to make a comfy prerunner/chase/DD. The jeep is a smooth little ride to get me by till after the new year. Im decided to wait on the Bronco purchase till after the B1k.
All the xj is getting is a mild lift decent shocks and some good rubber. When all is said and done i will have less than 3k into it and that includes the purchase!

Thanks for all your comment though, you guys are super helpfull. One question i still havnt got an answer too is ...

with the 3" lift how long of a shock do i need to look for?

there are smokin deals on 2.0's and 2.5's out there i just need to narrow down a lenght and ill pull the trigger on something. Should i even bother with a ressie shock or just gra some 5100 bilstiens. throw out some opinions.

Ryan, dont even bother with a 2.0 or a resi if your gonna get rid of it in less than 6 months. Go with a Bilstein, and call it good!

Back