• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Removal

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to remove the rear door windows from my 98 XJ 4 dr, power windows. I pulled the door panel today expecting to just unbolt the window glass from the tray and slide it out. Then remove the rear portion that does not roll down.

After looking at the setup, I didn't see what I expected. I had expected a tray/channel that the window sat in. The rear portion that does not roll down seems to come out the same way as the vent windows on the front of older XJ's (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243957995&postcount=69).

I snapped some pics of the door, and I'm looking for some help in removing the windows. Can I take the window motor out and lower the support mechanism that rolls the window up and down?

Door_Panel.jpg

Full Door Panel

Window_Motor.jpg

Close up of motor mount.

Slider_Bar.jpg

Window Slider Bar

Roll the window all the way down, to remove stationary glass there's a screw in the top and a bolt in the bottom which is inside that small hole just under the big hole on the top left. To remove the main part of the window it's held in place with a torx screw and plastic nut that is on the bottom center of the glass.

Roll the window all the way down, to remove stationary glass there's a screw in the top and a bolt in the bottom which is inside that small hole just under the big hole on the top left. To remove the main part of the window it's held in place with a torx screw and plastic nut that is on the bottom center of the glass.

Thanks for the info, if I can ask a follow up question. I was never able to get the power windows/locks to work. At the time I wasn't worried because it's a parts Jeep. But can I pop the motor and manually lower the window, or should I try to jump the wires to the motor and try to lower it that way?

if you can get 12v and ground to the motor or wires you can move the window up and down as you please

Any idea as to the amps the motor would take? I've got 20, 7, & 3 amp 12 vdc power supplies in the basement. I'd like to lug the lightest one possible out to the garage.

Back