• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found an 8.25 on CL

Ulver44

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, new here. I found this 8.25 on CL and was wondering if there is anything to be aware of/look for when I go see the axle. I want to swap it in place of the factory dana 35 on my 89 xj. I believe it should bolt right up and has the same gear as my front. Is $60 a good price? If it's in good shape, I'm guessing so. :)

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/1394169048.html

Also, it's from a 95 Dakota. Does that mean it could it have ABS? If so, I'm not sure how that would affect the swap.

Last edited:
I believe the Dakota rears are wider. It may be 6 lug, I know the 93's are. I think you would be better off getting one from a 97+ XJ. JIM.

ABS won't affect the swap if you don't have ABS, the only difference in the axle hardware is that the shafts have a "tone ring" pressed onto/machined into the part just past the bearing surface (I think.) There are sensors bolted to the backing plates but simply unbolting them or cutting the cables off/tying the cables back solves that problem.

What I'd be worried about is more what Jim noted before me, the width/wheel stud pattern. You might have to narrow it down (unless you want to run wider tires / wheels with more backspacing, then it could be good) and/or move the spring perches. The price is good though, at least around here junkyards want a hundred bucks a pop for axles.

I believe the Dakota rears are wider. It may be 6 lug, I know the 93's are. I think you would be better off getting one from a 97+ XJ. JIM.

:doh: Thanks. If it's 6 lug or more than 2 inches too wide I'll probably have to pass. Oh well. :eek:wl:

I happen to have both a Dakota and XJ so, I can tell you that the biggest difference is the Dakota is spring under, and the XJ is spring over. The lug pattern on the Dakota is six lug also.

$60. sounds good, but it would take a lot of work to fit the XJ. Around here you can pull a 29 spline 8.25 from an XJ for around $125., would prolly be cheaper in the long run.

ABS won't affect the swap if you don't have ABS, the only difference in the axle hardware is that the shafts have a "tone ring" pressed onto/machined into the part just past the bearing surface (I think.) There are sensors bolted to the backing plates but simply unbolting them or cutting the cables off/tying the cables back solves that problem.

What I'd be worried about is more what Jim noted before me, the width/wheel stud pattern. You might have to narrow it down (unless you want to run wider tires / wheels with more backspacing, then it could be good) and/or move the spring perches. The price is good though, at least around here junkyards want a hundred bucks a pop for axles.

Ok, cool. That's what I thought about the ABS. Shouldn't be a problem there.

I guess the price made me jump to post without thinking about spring perch spacing and lug pattern. I just got this xj (my first) and am amped up and ready to make it stronger (staying with 31's or 32's though). Thanks for the response. Will be looking for something that came under a cherokee I guess.

So F*rd 8.8's are the right lug pattern? Is the spring perch spacing the same too? If so I'll be on the lookout for one of those. :thumbup:

I happen to have both a Dakota and XJ so, I can tell you that the biggest difference is the Dakota is spring under, and the XJ is spring over. The lug pattern on the Dakota is six lug also.

$60. sounds good, but it would take a lot of work to fit the XJ. Around here you can pull a 29 spline 8.25 from an XJ for around $125., would prolly be cheaper in the long run.

Is there a way to tell if an xj 8.25 has 27 or 29 spline without pulling it apart? And this is the axle shaft spline #, right?

Is there a way to tell if an xj 8.25 has 27 or 29 spline without pulling it apart? And this is the axle shaft spline #, right?

Axles

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

Rear Axles
Rear Axle pics including non stock ford 8.8 and 9" and D60- http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/325000-325999/325707_182_full.jpg
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

Axles

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

Rear Axles
Rear Axle pics including non stock ford 8.8 and 9" and D60- http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/325000-325999/325707_182_full.jpg
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

That's some good info there! I really just want to lock the rear end and am afraid to do so with my current D35 rear - plus the drum brakes are shot on this axle. I don't plan on going bigger than 32" tires but still..

This narrows down the search a lot, thanks for the info!

That's some good info there! I really just want to lock the rear end and am afraid to do so with my current D35 rear - plus the drum brakes are shot on this axle. I don't plan on going bigger than 32" tires but still..

This narrows down the search a lot, thanks for the info!

I just did a Dana 44 in my XJ. I went to the junk yard for a 8.25 or a Ford 8.8 and just got lucky and found the D44, thats said I would never spend any money on a D35 knowing how many 8.25s and 8.8s where there. I counted eight 8.25s and at least 5 8.8 with dics brakes. I only paid $185 for my axle I see them on Craigslist all the time for cheap too.

Wow, thanks for the gearing selection table JRW! Guess I'll keep my eye out for a mostly rust free 2.5L XJ at the junkyard and see if I can pull the axles on it, I'd like to gear up at some point without breaking the bank and my front axle is pretty hardcore rusted anyways... right coil perch is nearly gone.

Back