• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear fog light

HQuakers

NAXJA Forum User
For some reason I decided I wanted a rear fog. I have a Draw Tite hitch and I got one of those LED hitch brake lights since I needed a plug and I had the wiring.

I wanted to keep the brake light setup, but add in a switch to keep it on in inclement weather. I ran the power through the switch since it's rated for 12V and the hitch light is LED. I ran a single wire up the top left of the Jeep behind the trim, which made running the wire quite easy. I put the switch below the factory rear wiper, rear defrost, and fog. I plan to add all my lighting switches here as it's convenient and there's plenty of room. I also put in a trailer wiring kit between the stock plug and the LED so I didn't have to hack into any existing hitch wiring.

Hitch light I got at Harbor Freight for $10:

pa040018.jpg

Wiring kit between the two:

pa040019.jpg

Lights On, Switch Off:

lightsonswitchoff.jpg

Lights On, Switch Off, Brakes Applied:

lightsonswitchoffb.jpg

Lights On, Switch On:

lightsonswitchon.jpg

Lights On, Switch On, Brakes Applied:

lightsonswitchonb.jpg

Switch location:

switchnb.jpg

I'm super happy how it turned out, and for under $20 I have a plug for the hitch when not in use, another brake light, and a rear fog light. If the LED goes, I'll just go buy another for $10, though I don't expect it to break any time soon.

The question is: Will the person following you be super happy with the guy infront of him having his "fog light" on constantly.

Ron

The question is: Will the person following you be super happy with the guy infront of him having his "fog light" on constantly.

Ron

I dont see there being any issue.. i'm sure he could have worded it better than "fog" given time. Maybe third braking/running light?

Looks good. I also have thought about adding some small ovals for add'l braking recessed in my rear bumper.

Rear fogs are great in fog, they really help your vehicle get seen.

I'll be setting my '96 up as Eurospec lighting, I've got the EU spec lights already (helps to have European friends!) and I'll be wiring the rear fogs up (EU spec tail lights have rear fog lights). It'll be nice and sometimes that looks a bit different than every other XJ out there.

Hmm, my red Jeep uses Wagoneer tail lights - I guess I just don't like the standard early model XJ tail lights much, do I? :D

Very Nice.

I've had plans of building integrated rear fog lights into a rear swing out bumper when ever I get some time for it.

They really are a great idea, there have been plenty times where I've noticed people with rear fogs are much more visible in heavy rain/inclement weather.

I don't have a problem with inclement weather use.

It's the leaving them on all the time which is annoying. Chevy makes some SUV with them in the bumper, and I hate following them. All the extra light pointed at me just makes it harder to see what's between us.

As far as the technical: Interesting mod, and very inovative. It just shows what you can do for low bucks :)

Ron

Good idea. Here in Fresno we get really bad tule fog in the winter, our car (Volvo S60) has them and they work well in lighting up the rear of the vehicle. So what if your pissing off the guy behind you....at least he can see you.

It is just one of those things that some people need to get used to. Euro spec VW/Audi's and other Euro vehicles have them from the factory also. Some only have them on one side, but over there the po po know why there's only one light on.

Ron

It acts as a 3rd (4th actually) brake light all the time when the brakes are applied (whether switch is on or not). It will ONLY be on full-time in inclement weather conditions.

They really are a great idea, there have been plenty times where I've noticed people with rear fogs are much more visible in heavy rain/inclement weather.

Yes, I drive 70-100 miles a day in the XJ and I have noticed people allow more following distance behind those with rear fogs on in inclement weather. Just another added security measure since I drive in every weather condition known to man.

Good idea. Here in Fresno we get really bad tule fog in the winter, our car (Volvo S60) has them and they work well in lighting up the rear of the vehicle. So what if your pissing off the guy behind you....at least he can see you.

I would rather have the guy behind me a little P/O than shoved so far up the rear of my XJ I feel cheap because he didn't even buy me dinner and flowers!:gee:

I put rear fog lights on my xj...but I wired them up to reverse lights so they only come on while in reverse. It works ALOT better than those silly little stock lights, and I can see everything when its dark and im backin up now. works great for me.

I wonder if the guy behind you will think that you've flipped over??!?! haha, jk, sweet mod.

I put rear fog lights on my xj...but I wired them up to reverse lights so they only come on while in reverse. It works ALOT better than those silly little stock lights, and I can see everything when its dark and im backin up now. works great for me.
What you are talking about is different. The term rear fog light/s involves the standard RED lights, not bright white lights.

Back