• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Information on I6 Renix.

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Well last April I had gotten a new engine in my 1989 Jeep Cherokee. It is an Inline 6 Renix with TBI. It has less then 10,000 miles on it. It seems to be burning oil. I have build up on the inside of the tail pipe and I have to add a quart of oil every 3-4 weeks. Is this normal or grounds for warranty?

Well last April I had gotten a new engine in my 1989 Jeep Cherokee. It is an Inline 6 Renix with TBI. It has less then 10,000 miles on it. It seems to be burning oil. I have build up on the inside of the tail pipe and I have to add a quart of oil every 3-4 weeks. Is this normal or grounds for warranty?

Burning oil at 10K on an overhaul? Take it back and see what's going on.

That's nothing to do with RENIX, either - that's something I'd tell you regardless.

When is it burning oil? That would give you a better idea of what's failed/failing...

You see, I don't really know. I can't ever smell it. It is the only logical thing I can think of because it's not leaking or getting blown into my air filter like before. Had my exhaust done about 2 months after the new engine so the build up in the pipe is from the new engine.

Fluffy black soot at the tailpipe? Could be running rich. How many miles are you covering in 3-4 weeks?

A quart of oil every 3-4 weeks seems excessive, but you may not be burning it. At that rate I would expect so see some SMOKE.

yeah, do you see any smoke ever? I'd expect to at least see some when really jamming on the throttle.

Back