• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover and Oil Pan Cover??

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to replace the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket tomorrow. If I get far enough, I will change the tranny filter and tranny gasket.

Any tips for things to look out for? Seems like some straight forward 1 Banana kind of stuff, but this will be my frist time wrenching on the XJ. All my other wrenching has been on Toyotas.

I do have the FSM.

Watch the torque on pan bolts they are easy to twist off in the block.

Might as well clean the oil pump pickup screen while you are in there, and go ahead and re-torque the rod and main caps too.

Also make sure you get the right gasket for the valve cover..if you have the metal valve cover its a plastic neopreme gasket. If its a plastic valve cover they use a cork gasket.

If you are leaking oil at the valve cover, I'd change it first, clean off the engine and see if the oil dripping from the pan came from above. That was the case on my 97. It was running down the back of the engine and dripping from the rear main aera of the oil pan. Now if you want to change an oil pan gasket and rear main seal even if it's not leaking, disreguard my comment.:laugh3: HTH....Al

Well, because O'Reilly's only had 1 rear main seal, and I am working on my only vehicle for a family of 4, I opted to wait on the rear main seal. I did replace the valve cover, and will wash off the entire engine with Automotive Simple Green, then see if all the oil was the valve cover and not the oil pan.

As far as the valve cover, all done. Thanks for the tips. No one mentioned the bolt closest to the firewall. I got it out, but putting it back was a pain. I dropped it and it was lost for about 15min. It found a cozy place back there between the engine and firewall.

Man, the stupid plastic pieces holding the fuel injector wireing line in place were my biggest problem. Them, combined with the radiator hose made for a very tight fit getting the valve cover out, and then back in.

What are the two vacuum lines coming out the top of the valve cover? They both had a lot of play in them, and were cruddy. Because I didn't know, I didn't mess with them.

Oh, and while I was wrenching, I replaced the diff fluid with synthetic. Only glitch in this plan was that the previous owner (before my Father-in-law in 2003) had used a grey liquid gasket. And used a TON of it!! I was scraping the rear for a while, and couldn't even budge the front (why couldn't the dana 30 and chrysler 8.5 have a drain plug like toyotas!?!?!). I had to use the hand pump I use for bleeding the brake lines to suck out the front diff fluid. Not as satisfying as the rear because I know I didn't get as much of the old out before putting in the synthetic, but at least I know it is sealed.

1. I got lubelocker gaskets for the front and rear diffs. Reusable and I haven't had any leaks.

2. The two vacuum hoses on the VC are part of the CCV system. The one closest to the radiator is in the 'intake' and the other is the 'exhaust'. If you have blow by on your air filter, change both of the grommets and hard lines out. It's cheap, easy, and quick. A clogged CCV can also blow out a VC gasket.

Back