• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing chain...should I replace it?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I searched...couldn't find a definite answer.

So I have a new rig with 160k, don't know much about how the engine feels/responds because I've only driven it a couple times. However, I have a 1 year old timing chain/gear on my other rig and I was planning on swapping it over to my new rig, but now I'm wondering if it's necessary?

I can do it, I already bought the seal kit, and I planned on swapping over my harmonic balancer too (unless you guys think thats pointless, it was new a year ago on my other rig).

Basically, what happens when your harmonic balancer, and your timing chain are going bad? Will it make any effect on MPG or engine response?

~Scott

I believe you'll hear some rattling from the timing chain cover if it's starting to go really bad. Apparently the 4.0 is a non-interference engine, so I *think* about the worst thing that can happen if your chain breaks is it'll chew up the timing chain sprockets and stop running. I got a full kit including all seals, both sprockets, and the chain for $60 from someone on here, I'm keeping it in reserve till I find the time to redo my oil pan gasket just in case I discover I need to do a timing chain at the same time.

Harmonic balancer will usually end up eating the serpentine belt, could be as bad as hitting the radiator and/or other components if it flies apart.

Timing chain stretched will lead to timing variances, worst case will jump a tooth or more.

Are you having MPG or throttle response issues?

Harmonic balancer will usually end up eating the serpentine belt, could be as bad as hitting the radiator and/or other components if it flies apart.

Timing chain stretched will lead to timing variances, worst case will jump a tooth or more.

Are you having MPG or throttle response issues?

Interesting, ok good to know.

No issues that I know of, but again this rig is new to me and I've had little drive time on it since I've been tearing it apart. The response on my old rig was amazing, this rig as far as I can remember there wasn't really any lag, but I only had so many off the line jumps and I wasn't paying much attention.

Basically, I'm replacing the radiator, alternator, and idler pulley...so I figured I'd replace the timing chain and Harmonic balancer at the same time...but now I'm wondering if it's worth it.

~Scott

Well, you are going to have the radiator out of the way so...

Might not be a bad thing to do, at least you know what you have going down the road. Might as well throw in a new water pump and thermostat while its all apart.

Well, you are going to have the radiator out of the way so...

Might not be a bad thing to do, at least you know what you have going down the road. Might as well throw in a new water pump and thermostat while its all apart.

New t-stat and high-flow t-stat cover is going on as well. I was pondering the water pump too...the question is then, what water pump should I get?

I've yet to have one fail on me, my cooling system is pretty up to date/top of the line...but a pump is kinda important. haha

~Scott

New t-stat and high-flow t-stat cover is going on as well. I was pondering the water pump too...the question is then, what water pump should I get?

I've yet to have one fail on me, my cooling system is pretty up to date/top of the line...but a pump is kinda important. haha

~Scott

Just buy new, not rebuilt. The price difference isn't worth the heartache.

If you want a high-flow pump, find one that the flow curve is highest at low RPMs.

Just buy new, not rebuilt. The price difference isn't worth the heartache.

If you want a high-flow pump, find one that the flow curve is highest at low RPMs.

Alright...well I looked it up on Schuck's (O-reilly now) website, they show a few choices but no details on them.

It's basically $30 for a new one, or $75.
I'll assume it'd be OK to just buy the $30 one since it's new and I don't really have any cooling problems?

~Scott

Sounds like a good plan to me.

If you want to dink around, check out flow kooler and hesco for details on their pump curves.

Just bought a master-pro water pump along side a 100amp autolite alternator from schucks, both with a lifetime warranty.

~Scott

Back