• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What have YOU got to do before the flog?

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
my junk needs boatsides and a motor, id also like to throw a hitch on the exploder and get a trailer to pull it but we'll see about that.... whatcha got cooking for the flog

- add a upper "high steer" arm to my passenger knuckle, so i can 'double shear' (?) my bolt, making it stronger...
- re-weld steering box mount (cracked from frame at aetna), and add more gussets/bracing...
- fix/adjust/make new steering shaft from column to steering box...
- swap brake master cylinder to a large bore, single outlet style...
- mount CO2 tank more "temporarily permenant" than a ratchet strap...
- new tierod???

...those are the big items i can think of right now.

- will also swap spark plugs
- annual oil change (only has ~270 miles on it, since the Flog last year) :)

- add a upper "high steer" arm to my passenger knuckle, so i can 'double shear' (?) my bolt, making it stronger...

your just wantin to go to crossover by adding the highsteer arm right? if so then its still in single shear it just takes the added pressure of two heims on one bolt away that your runnin now.... too bad you didnt decide to do this earlier this year, i had a brand new pass knuckle and billet arm sittin around

-Put a real sye kit in and a new rear driveshaft.
-Fix the 3 link mount that is pretty much off the "frame"
-Make traction bar

The shakedown run showed some weaknesses.

we need some carnage pics, i have yet to see the damage :D

Yea... I need to take those, it kinda sadens me having my jeep down for so long getting built, and wheeled it for the first time in months for like 2 hours in a monsoon and then blew it up:cry:!! And it hurts me to look at it, but ill take some. I did a number to the driveshaft and mount though :laugh2:

your just wantin to go to crossover by adding the highsteer arm right? if so then its still in single shear it just takes the added pressure of two heims on one bolt away that your runnin now....

not exactly... take my setup now, tierod and draglink mounted on top of the knuckle, with one bolt... now imagine the "high steer arm" going on top of my two hiems, and a nut on top... which would sandwhich the heims between the factory knuckle and the high steer arm; tieing them together... double sheer i believe.

like this...

0903_4wd_25_z+2001_toyota_tacoma_prerunner+fk_rod_ends.jpg

i won't be changing my setup any... just adding strength to it :)

i gotta fix a couple oil leaks (oil pan & pass. side axle tube)
put on the coils i got from Eric
spray paint some rusty spots
cut out some rust in the floor and weld in some sheet metal
get a driver side taillight
prolly a couple more things, but these are the ones i'm gonna try to get done over the next week or 2.

Hopefully get my tires and alignment sorted out. Motor mounts are done. Load it up and gas up and go.

not exactly... take my setup now, tierod and draglink mounted on top of the knuckle, with one bolt... now imagine the "high steer arm" going on top of my two hiems, and a nut on top... which would sandwhich the heims between the factory knuckle and the high steer arm; tieing them together... double sheer i believe.

like this...

0903_4wd_25_z+2001_toyota_tacoma_prerunner+fk_rod_ends.jpg

i won't be changing my setup any... just adding strength to it :)

i like that a lot, whose arm you gonna run?

Set-up my front axle (rear is done) then swap the axles in. Make a winch bumper and mount the XD9000i, swap my 231 for the one I have set-up with AA HD SYE, 2-low and novak shifter.

I don't think I will get it done for this one although its wheelable the way it is right now.

I won't know if I'm going until the week before.

I need to:
install drop brackets
replace pinion seal on front axle
either box rockers or build some sliders
build new rear bumper with better recovery points
order new motor for the winch and put it back together
find new seats for the kids for the back and install
need new tires
....and a lock right for the front would be nice too

I know I'm leaving alot out, but that is what comes to mind.

Dan,
What kind of mount are you going to use for your co2 tank? I have one that needs to be properly mounted.

i like that a lot, whose arm you gonna run?

...gonna take the knuckle to a machine shop, and tell them what i want... and hope it don't cost an arm and a leg.

Dan,
What kind of mount are you going to use for your co2 tank? I have one that needs to be properly mounted.

not sure... probably end up making one; something that will keep the tank low, and behind the seats probably...

I need another new axle! lol. Also gotta beef my crossmember a little more for the torque mount. The new tires have too much bite! They are braking everything! lol.

Yeah, don't know if I really trust fixing that one. Look in the Aetna thread, I made a post about what I was going to do.

oh yeh i read that... i thought you were talking about another one on top of that one... thought something was wrong with it or it fell through (never know, TT)

threads are overlapping in my head i guess... maybe i am alittle insane :cheers:

Back