• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grand cherokee parts on an XJ

cherokeeproject

NAXJA Forum User
so my jeep is needing some major work and i have found a Grand cherokee from the same year being stripped for parts. i have the oportunity to buy whats left for pretty cheap but i need to know what all i can use off of it.

my jeep is a 96 xj sport , HO I6, AW-4 tranny, NP-231, Dana 44 rear, dana 30 front.

the ZJ is a 96 laredo, inline 6, automatic, 4x4.

i only had one picture and had to talk to the guy over the phone so i didnt get alot of specifics. i mainly just need drivetrain parts and most of what has already been taken has been body panels.

is there any major differences between the XJ and ZJ drivetrain?

it was my plan to use the engine as a bais for a 4.6 stroker. the tranny might get swapped right into my jeep if possible. assuming its the AW-4. the axles will probly be saved and trussed off the vehicle. etc. etc.

do the np231 and np242 Tcase mount up to the AW-4 the same? bolt locations exact, spline count, etc?

any insight?

also, the rest of the parts such as starter, alternator, fuel injecters, intake, exhaust, radiator etc. will most likely be stored for a rainy day if they are compatable with my XJ.

The 96's transmission is NOT an AW4 and is a junk Chrysler transmission, leave that out of the equation.

You don't want that dana 44, it's an aluminum one and not as strong as an XJ/otherjeep D44. I don't think the radiator is compatible but I'm not sure. The alternator may be a different size also, but you can always craigslist it. Pretty sure exhaust is different also. Starter should be compatible (I think, someone correct me?)

The front diff, motor and transfer case should all work in yours. Driveshafts may also......
CL whats left of it. What are they asking for it ?

The front driveshaft won't work in an XJ, but it'll make a great Hack-n-Tap rear CV driveshaft for anyone doing an SYE on a manual XJ. I'd keep it around or throw it in the classifieds section.

i honestly dont know enough about the zj's and what comes on them... he was asking $300 as is. but its nowhere near where i live so i would have to get a trailer and transport it. i was hopeing to stockpile parts for a comanche project but if its not ganna work on my cherokee then its prob not ganna work on an MJ

Some ZJ Grand Cherokee's also came with the full steel/iron Dana 44. Some did have the aluminum D44 which sucks because parts of it are steel and parts of it are aluminum.

The only ZJ parts I have on my XJ are the shifter handles for the transmission and the transfer case.

the front axle is a low pinion 30 the rear is most likly a dana 35 take the alternater it is a 136 amp one and is an upgrade just have to clearence some things to make it fit

Not true, the alternator is not always 136 amp. Most of the time its 90 amp or 120 amp if a V8 is equipped. Sometimes the 136 amp is used with the V8 Grand Cherokee Limited's but not always, sometimes the 120 amp is also used in this case.

6913 on the alternator casing indicates 136 amp. There was a post listing the model numbers, that is the only one I remember. If you search you can find the model numbers for the 90 amp and 120 amp as well.

Some ZJ Grand Cherokee's also came with the full steel/iron Dana 44. Some did have the aluminum D44 which sucks because parts of it are steel and parts of it are aluminum.

The only ZJ parts I have on my XJ are the shifter handles for the transmission and the transfer case.

With the Zj handles do they come off the shafts and if so will the fit the Xj shafts or do you need to change the shafts as well???

The ZJ handle slides off of the shifter shaft but the transfer case handle must come entirely out with the handle. There is a clip that holds the shaft in at the bottom.

I had to shorten the shaft and redrill a new hole in order to use the ZJ transfer case handle. Most people don't even mess with trying to use the ZJ handle tcase handle and just use the ZJ transmission shift handle.

Later on I upgraded to the later 97+ curved Cherokee shift shaft. The ZJ shift handle also works on this curved shaft.

The 97+ shifth andles are also more ergonomic and comfortable compared to the 84-96 style handles.

It is all up to you really, you need to go to a junkyard and test all of the different handles for yourself.

Thanks for the response, I have a '96 Zj that I am wrecking at them moment and I tried to remove the shifter handle but it doesn't seem to want to come off, how much force should it take to get off?
I will look into whether or not I like the transfer case handle once I can get the shifter handle sorted out...

If it hasn't been removed before it will require alot of force.

Shift it into 1-2, sit in the back seat, and pull with both hands if you can.

Make sure the parking brake is on or that you have the wheels blocked!

If it hasn't been removed before it will require alot of force.

Shift it into 1-2, sit in the back seat, and pull with both hands if you can.

Make sure the parking brake is on or that you have the wheels blocked!

Thanks for that, though chocking the wheels could be a problem as there are no diffs under it, but I will give it a go.
I will let you know how I go.....
Thanks!

Back