• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked exhaust manifold, with pictures!

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
Do I win some sort of prize? I have a hugely cracked manifold, and I still got 20 MPG on my last fillup!

This is on my 89 RENIX. I don't want to upgrade, I just want it fixed as cheaply as possible. What would be the best option? Braze it? Or buy a new one?

If you are dead set on it, weld it up.

Be sure to add a flexpipe after the downpipe, and check your motor and trans mounts or you will be pulling it off again (you will probably have to do that anyway).

If you are dead set on it, weld it up.

Be sure to add a flexpipe after the downpipe, and check your motor and trans mounts or you will be pulling it off again (you will probably have to do that anyway).

I just phoned a local parts store, and looked online and couldn't really find any aftermarket manifolds for my jeep. =\

Looks like welding/brazing or finding a junkyard one will be the way to go.

Also since buying my jeep 20,000 KM ago I have put on Brown Dog motor mounts and a new tranny mount, so those won't be a problem. I was also thinking about adding some flexpipe, too, once I fix my manifold.

I've had pretty good luck welding them up (after a few failed tries). "C" clamp the manifold flange to something massive (I used a metal I beam). Mig the crack, I use a series of spot welds insted of a bead, the material seems to be an alloy and can act a bit like stainless and melt through pretty easy as it heats up.
Then torch the weld until red and let it cool slowly. Most of the *new* cracks that showed up again after a couple of years, were right at the border of the weld (on my fist tries). Dissimilar temper/hardness/expansion between the weld and manifold.
My screw ups were a (seriously) bowed flange once and on another occasion the flange was flat but the bolt holes were off by about a quarter of an inch on one end. After I learned to clamp it down before welding those problems disappeared (mostly).

I DON'T KNOW, BUT I'VE BEEN TOLD that the later 91-99 manifolds will fit, you just might have to have a new downpipe made (or adding the flexpipe would help that).

Here is the welded exhaust:

And the engine before putting it back together:

I plan on putting some flex pipe on the downpipe before the cat. Should prevent it from cracking. I think the new mounts will help, too. At least I hope :cool:

GUSSETS!!!! I harp on that when it goes to welding those. It works well. I did mine a year ago. I just started developing a leak though...down near the flange because I'm cheap and didn't replace the gasket when I welded it last year:)

GUSSETS!!!! I harp on that when it goes to welding those. It works well. I did mine a year ago. I just started developing a leak though...down near the flange because I'm cheap and didn't replace the gasket when I welded it last year:)

I plan on selling this in a year anyways so it doesn't bother me if it leaks again haha.

Selling it in a year? Better be for another XJ:nono:

Absolutely! A 1997+ 5 speed. Swap in an NV242, a small lift, lil bit of armor, some performance stuff and call it a damn fine hunting/skiing mobile. :)

This thing of mine has been through hell and back and keeps me smiling though so I think it'll last me this skiing season.

Also, a note for anyone replacing their intake/exhaust manifold: Make sure your intake manifold is secure in the two studs. Mine wasn't, and when I torqued it to spec, it lifted it up. Wouldn't of been such a big deal but I had put a thin layer of RTV on it and it really pissed me off. Heh.

Absolutely! A 1997+ 5 speed. Swap in an NV242, a small lift, lil bit of armor, some performance stuff and call it a damn fine hunting/skiing mobile. :)

This thing of mine has been through hell and back and keeps me smiling though so I think it'll last me this skiing season.

Also, a note for anyone replacing their intake/exhaust manifold: Make sure your intake manifold is secure in the two studs. Mine wasn't, and when I torqued it to spec, it lifted it up. Wouldn't of been such a big deal but I had put a thin layer of RTV on it and it really pissed me off. Heh.

:cheers:

Back