• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Trans Leak with the AW4. I did search and just need confirmation of the source

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,

So about 6 months ago (5k) when my XJ was having the rear end worked on the shop that had it said my transmission cooler lines were starting to leak. I had them replaced then for $200. I got off of work yesterday and drove home about to pack and get on the freeway for 2 hours when I noticed about 4 or 5 drops of red transmission fluid under the XJ after only a minute of being parked. I crawled underneath and transmission fluid is leaking off the cooler lines and the sway bar is soaked. The bottom of the air box has splatter all over it from I assume drops hitting the fan. When I look down to the ground in front of the engine I can see fluid inside the flared cooler line. Did the shop screw up? Is there anything else up front that could be leaking ATF? My 98 XJ is 2wd and has the factory tow package if that makes a difference. I did search but most of the post were about replacement and not leak diagnosis forward of the transmission itself. I just want to be armed with knowledge before I try to get the work covered under warranty. Thanks for your time.

First, clean it thoroughly. I like Simple Green cut 50/50 with water in a garden sprayer.

Clean it and then take a look with a very bright spotlight for anything obvious. If you can't identify the problem right away, then drive it a bit and check again. Be sure to monitor your fluid level.

BTW, $200 for replacing the cooler lines? Did you get dinner and flours with that?

I had this same thing happen while towing a trailer full of stuff home from NJ/PA last night - to the point that when I came to an abrupt stop after getting off the highway it got on the tailpipe and I blew a huge billowing cloud of smoke. I'm thinking I will be replacing all the lines soon.

I replaced my radiator and reconnected the transmission cooler lines I couldn't get the one to go all the way back on. It drips a tiny bit and the fan blows it all over. I hate the quick connect fittings, mine are the ones with the plastic tabs built in. I'm scared to try and force it then break the fitting.

I guess I was more looking for a confirmation of the source of the leak. I'm hesitant to wipe anything down as this could make it harder to get the shop to cover the work under warranty. Is there anything else ahead of the transmission that could leak ATF other than the cooler lines?

Depending on what you fill it up with (Fords recommend ATF, I think Jeep uses standard PS fluid), your power steering system could do that. I'm betting just the radiator/lines though.

EDIT: or driving really fast in reverse :spin1:

I thought for a second it might be power steering fluid but I changed that out about 6 months ago with actual power steering fluid so I know that's not the culprit. It sounds like the smart money is on the cooler lines.

As I said earlier I have very rusty lines... looks like Dorman OE replacements on rockauto.com are the 624300 and 624301 ($32 and $27 respectively), I need to get these in a couple weeks when I have more wiggle room in my budget. the Dorman parts don't cover the metal tubing from the top radiator fitting to the fitting at the front of the engine bay, but I got a nearly rust free replacement for that at my local junkyard.

EDIT: just noticed you also have factory towing package - you may well have an extra transmission cooler in front of your radiator linked into the tranny lines. I'm not sure how the hoses are routed in that case - my bet is that the rubber line with the clip fitting (the one that goes to the top of the radiator normally) goes to the tranny cooler, which then goes to the top radiator metal line. I always wondered why that line had the fitting in the middle...

Last edited:
Back