• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping a BA10 for an AX15 ?????

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know pictures would help, but no camera.

We have a 1988 Cherokee with a BA10 tranny that has puked. Picked up an AX15 out of a 1990 Cherokee.

Everything has been a direct bolt in, to my surprize!

One issue - on the driver's side of the BA10 tranny is a two prong plug, with a wire going into the harness along the unibody frame. The wire just unpluggs and you see two contact pins. Nothing on the passenger side.

On the AX15 there is a sensor? built into the passenger side of the tranny with a short lead to a two prong plug. The wire doesn't look like it comes off.

Like I said, everything has been a direct bolt in replacement, except for these two plugs. My best guess is that both of them are the switch for the back up lights. I'm guess I can cut them off and splice the wires from one to the other and have it work.

Not really sure, anyone else run into this plug situation when swapping out compairable trannys?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's the last issue I have to figure out.

Ok, I know pictures would help, but no camera.

We have a 1988 Cherokee with a BA10 tranny that has puked. Picked up an AX15 out of a 1990 Cherokee.

Everything has been a direct bolt in, to my surprize!

One issue - on the driver's side of the BA10 tranny is a two prong plug, with a wire going into the harness along the unibody frame. The wire just unpluggs and you see two contact pins. Nothing on the passenger side.

On the AX15 there is a sensor? built into the passenger side of the tranny with a short lead to a two prong plug. The wire doesn't look like it comes off.

Like I said, everything has been a direct bolt in replacement, except for these two plugs. My best guess is that both of them are the switch for the back up lights. I'm guess I can cut them off and splice the wires from one to the other and have it work.

Not really sure, anyone else run into this plug situation when swapping out compairable trannys?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's the last issue I have to figure out.

Spot-on!

When I did this swap, I got a mating Delphi Weatherpack plug for the harness side, then cut the moulded rubber plug off and reterminated the leads. Problem solved.

As you've already noted, the rest of the swap is mechanically very simple - the biggest headache I ran into was that the nutserts on the rear crossmember holes had rusted out (cut access port in framerail and fix with nuts and fender washers, using 3/8" bolts) and the shift tower is a bit farther back on the AX-15 than on the BA-10 (extend transmission tunnel hole rear edge back about 2-3" to clear.)

Hey 5-90 thanks for the quick response.

I think my set up is a little different that yours. I looked at the wiring on the 1988 for the backup switch and from where it plugs onto the tranny, about 2 feet up the wiring harness is a plug.

The 1990 is screwed into the tranny, with a different plug about 1 foot up the wiring harness.

Looks like I can just cut the ends off of both and solder them together and still have a disconnect plug on the line. Easy enough!

Now as far as the shifter, measuring from the edge of the bellhousing back to the shift rod, the 1988 is 19" and the 1990 is 19 1/2". May have to trim the floor plate a litte, but not much.

I look and saw what you said about the cross member and will probably do what you did and cut an access hole and drop in a couple of bolts.

Thanks for the help.

It's in and working. Two problems, back up lights not working and speedometer not working.

Have to do some trouble shooting, but the tranny is working great.

isn't the speedo sending unit on the transfercase?

Where you able to determine what side of the back up light switch was from power and which side is to lights? i don't think that would matter though...

is there power coming from the harness to the switch? if so perhaps you can jump the switch to test them, if they don't light up you know you have another issue.

Back