• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really Dumb Plumbing Question

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I've done all kinds of work on my XJ from the lift to electrical to t-cased but never attacked the cooling system and its overdue. In my youth we use to use a paper gasket and gasket cement to seal the water pump and thermostat housing. With the advent of RTV and all those other silicone products I don't think they even make gasket cement anymore. So what do I use to mate surfaces where High pressure coolant is traveling? Thankyou in advance.

Second, I noticed that Napa sells a high performance warer pump that is most likely a Flowkooler knock-off at almost half the price of a Flowkooler. Does anyone have experience with these? I wouldn't spend the extra cash on the Flowkooler but at 79 bones the NAPA pump is tempting.

Last edited:
Also, what is used on the heater hose fitting where it screws into the pump? Pipe tape? TIA

Indian Head Gasket cement, still made, still works, small bottle is a buck or so. As for the tstat gasket, get the dealer OEM one, has the RTV already on it and it's readyu to go, I just tend to overseal and put a very thin coat of indian head on both sides of the gasket..
I juset use NEW car craft pumps, $45 or so.

yardape said:
Also, what is used on the heater hose fitting where it screws into the pump? Pipe tape? TIA
Yes ,pipe tape is good. Like Rich said ,that Indian Head sheclac(sp) is good on those water pump, thermostat gaskets to hold them in place.
Wayne

I'm kind of partial to the hylomar. It's more expensive than other sealers, but is resistive it all automotive chemicals, easy to use, tacks up to hold gaskets, can be put in service right away, and never hardens. Also, it's a real purty blue color. LOL

It is not a gasket maker. If your sealing surfaces lack mechanical integrity, this is the wrong stuff to use.

I had to change a thermostat I put in service 2 years prior. Clean-up involved a rag soaked with acetone, no scraping at all. I like it!

Back