• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should i bore my tb or just have it done???

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
I heard the whistle can be eliminated by trimming the leading edge with a file or sand paper. Now i do have a 60mm drum sander and a drill press so it can be done with my tools i think but is there a certain grit drum sanding paper i need?? the ones i have now are prob 80 grit.

I have a 95 xj 4.0 with the 2001 intake manifold, CAI, header, and cat back so it think i'd benefit some.

i thought with the new intake boring it out didn't do that much... i could be wrong tho.

what i do know after boring a bunch of them out, i didn't feel much in the 99's, but the 97 was definitely improved. and the only difference being the intake manifold.

i cant speak to the sanding, i used a mill

from jeeperscreepers:

Why not just bore out the stock throttle body to 62mm you ask? One simple reason,"CRACKS".

Over the years we have bored them out to 62mm and we have seen quite a few cracks in the stock housings. The stock housings are cast and some have air pockets and other defects which may result in a crack within the body.

i have personally seen this while boring out the TB's... well not the cracks, but the air pockets. i think because i only bored out to 60mm i was safe from the cracking

I only put that out there because I know that James(from J&C) sells quality stuff.
I'm already runnig a bored TB on my 4.7 but will be swapping in a J&C unit soon to test out.

When I had mine bored out (and have yet to cut the disk) I noticed that the inside of my TB had a horrible casting (89renix stuff I'm talking about here) and had air pockets (tiny, but very noticeable). I don't know if it would succumb to cracks but I know if I had it to do over again I would just buy the fancy blue one from those people posted above....I dont even know them.

A bored throttle body only really helps power at WOT. It effectively has the butterfly open quicker, yielding a quicker throttle response for a given amount of actuation of the pedal, something you can get by simply pressing down the pedal further.

It's not that it lets the butterfly open quicker. It's that on the manifold side of the butterfly the housing is tapered to a smaller diameter giving a smoother transition of incoming air. The benefit is on the OEM yielding a smoother acceleration. trail rate this does them for a good price. PM him and he will tell you more. I noticed an immediate different on my throttle response once it was installed and not just at WOT.

A bored throttle body only really helps power at WOT. It effectively has the butterfly open quicker, yielding a quicker throttle response for a given amount of actuation of the pedal, something you can get by simply pressing down the pedal further.

:laugh2:

Back