• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never been a trail leader before but want to

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
Are you thinking about being a trail leader this year at the Fall Fling but are unsure about what's involved? Just ask here.

Every experienced trail leader had a first time leading a trail at some point. This year, I hope we get a few more experienced XJ drivers that are ready to make the jump and enjoy this aspect of being part of the NAXJA community. We have 'Easy' rated trails set for each day of the Fall Fling and these are an ideal opportunity for anyone that is considering being a first time leader.

For those of you that have been a trail leader before, why not post what you think makes a good trail leader and what qualities or abilities someone starting out would need.

I think someone who knows where they are going is one great quality for a trail leader. I am always lost myself. I make a good tailgunner.

I think someone who knows where they are going is one great quality for a trail leader.

The first trail I led, I took a wrong turn and ~15 rigs behind me followed (Onion Creek 2007). It was emberassing and amusing to watch all of us try and flip a u-turn in the little campground I had turned into. Although everyone was quick to forgive, I agree that the leader needs to either have experience with the trail or have really good directions (gps or trail guide book) for the trail.

Good spotting skills are also helpful since there are usually some in the group who will appreciate it.

Listen to the group's comments. If several people mention that they would have liked to get a picture further back in the trail, you may want to ease up the pace a little. If people keep asking when to expect to be back or how much of the trail is left to run, you may want to pick up the pace.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure there are those who wish I would follow it. :D

Remembering my first NAXJA trail run, Hells Revenge 2002 Fall Fling, Mil lead and people would flock to sign up for his runs. Someday maybe I'll be as good of a trail lead. Here is an outline of why I enjoyed having him leading the pack.

A: have a good quick drivers meeting, cover all the basics as well as any trail specific concerns.

the basics covered.
1. Keep the rig behind you in view at all times, keeps the group together and ensures nobody misses any key turns at intersections
2. Steep descents, keep your rig verticle, don't ever get side ways, make sure the rig in front clears the bottom before starting.
3. Steep climbs, let the rig ahead make it up the climb, leave room in case they need to back down or try again. again don't get sideways.
4. Each participant should offer to spot for the vehicle in front or behind, just the same ask them for help when needed. Keeps the group moving.
5. Plan to spot (and/or assign who will spot) everyone through each of the crux obstacles of a trail. Give assurances of good times and successful outcomes (steadies the new guys nerves and builds thier confidence in the leaders while at the same time avoiding the too many chiefs not enough indians scenarios).
6. Teach any new drivers to make small corrections when given spotting instruction and to watch the spotter.

Other items.
Introduce trail leader, tail gunner, anyone one else with experience on the trail
identify new drivers, first timers on the trail, rig limitations, or communication limitations - have them run next to capable or experienced drivers or rigs with communications as needed or makes them comfortable.
Address trail specific concerns and discuss overall outline for the day.

B: communication

Some personalities are naturals in the lead, others like me have to work on this all the time. Things you can do to keep your group informed and make things interesting while on the trail.

1. Introductions - one of the first things Mil did on our run in 02 was initiate a down the line radio introduction session. It's great to hear where everyone is from and how long they have been with the club.
2. Position updates, let the group know if you are starting on a steep climb, what line is best, what obstacle your reaching etc.
3. tail gunner feedback, a good leader is in regular communication with the tailgunner, knows when the gunner makes a critical turn and all have followed correctly for example (a great tailgunner offers this information readily without being prompted.) It just goes a long way to keeping all informed with the progress of the run and therefore makes people comfortable.
4. Interesting play by play on the radio. This could include 4wd technique, obstacle information, history, geology, anecdotes, experiences, stories, local legend etc etc. Fun trail leaders always have plenty to share, but this information is great to hear from any of the participants too.
5. reminders! every once in a while get on the radio and reapeat those basics covered in the meeting. Start of a steep climb = reminder, at an intersection = reminder, etc. Remind the new drivers to make small corrections when taking spotting instructions. Even when leading it can be too easy to stay glued to a map or gps and forget to check the mirriors once in a while:gag:, if I'm reminding them I probably wouldn't forget either.

C. Trail familiarity / Obstacle familiarity

1. An ideal leader knows the trail, has driven it multiple times and is confidant spotting any of the obstacles the group will want to tackle and even those only a few might try.
2. Another benifit is he will know the timing, when to keep the group moving along, and when they can take a longer brake for example.

I learned this the hard way leading Tip-toe Behind the Rocks my first time on it, we had a great time but it made for an extremely long day. We would wait for another group running all the obstacles so we could see them in action, should have just skipped the spectating and kept moving. I could have cut it much shorter with a little fore-knowledge of the trail. Would go much smoother next time though.

This is fairly important but not always necessary, it can be fun to take an understanding group out on a new trail for the first time. Half the fun is getting lost then finding the right way, 8 point turns are ok for a couple times, hopefully not more than that. :cool: A good leader will lead the unknown trail, tackling any unknowns with confidence even if for the first time just to make sure those who want to run it (himself included) get a chance to do so. I'll always praise Handlebars for stepping up in 2006 so we could run the Strike Ravine trail even though he hadn't been before - what a blast we have had on that trail then and since! Having said all that it is much easier and less stressful to lead a group when you know where you are going. Handlebars and I co-lead the 3-D trail the following year for the first time, like strike ravine it has some confusing intersections but we did get a pre-run in a few days before which helped immensly.

After we finished our tip-toe to Hell in 2002 not only did I want to sign up for other runs with Mil in the lead (filled up so fast I never got that chance), but my Jeep felt like it rode 10" higher down the streets of Moab that afternoon, I was hooked! That day in 02 it was a treat watching Mil take on Mickey's hot tub and have him spot some of the others in the group as they opted to tackle Tipover challenge.

3. Spot everyone through the tough obstacles yourself, or take charge of making sure an assigned spotter has the drivers attention. Keep the confusion down so the driver knows who to look at, listen to, and trust. along with this know the basic spotting signals and even practice giving them beforehand if new at it. Be aware of how high you need to hold your hands or where to stand so the driver can see your signals and/or hear you. Give clear instructions, turn driver/passenger is often easier to understand than confusing left and right for example.
4. You don't get much leadership experience without leadership experience, start with leading the milk runs and move up. Or if you've driven a trail a few times before and watched the lines the spotters pick to get people over the obstacles correctly, it's time to consider leading. At least offer to tail gun or take over spotting a few rigs over an obstacle with some supervision. Alternatively sign up for the same trail earlier in the week then offer to lead later - has worked out well for some.

It isn't too hard and can be rewarding, the leader has the best view and cleanest air in the group.

Thanks for taking the time to post that, it's great.

I remember 2006 Strike Ravine, Rachel and I had fun that day and it's probably the main reason I like leading it now.

One thing about the passenger/driver spotting commands... bringing a righthand drive Jeep to the event confuses the spotters!

You have no idea...

x2 the first time i wheeled with those two i lead them on steel bender and i was confused all day long. then rachel let me driver her TJ down and back up dragons tail that was just cool/weird all together.

Back