• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Pinion Bearing

MYXJ22

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if I would be able to remove the flange, dirt shield, oil slinger and outer bearing without doing anything inside the pumpkin? I think this bearing is gone but I'm not sure if I can just pull pieces out from the outside without screwing up anything internally.

at the least i would put another crush sleve in it but you will have to pull the carrier to set the bearing preload. i would just get a o/h kit and put all new bearings it it

justin

You are goingto have to remove the carrier, in order to knock out the pinion... you cant pry out the pinion bearing and anyways you should replace them both, if one is going, its a good chance the other needs to be replaces and like above any crush sleeve style diff needs a new one and set correct every time that nut is backed off

Does this mean I'll have to re-set the backlash and check the coast and drive on the ring again? Is this going to be as much work as if I were installing new gears?

just put all the shim's back in the exact same place and you will have no troubles with back lash etc. Just make sure you get the pinion bearing pre-load done correctly. should have around 20inch lbs of rolling resistance.

And if the bearing has come apart in the housing you will have to thoroughly clean and clean the inside of the housing or you will have a bearing failure again soon.

like above, no you just have to put everything back the way it came, that means the same pinion bearing shims, the same carrier bearing shims for each side, marking and putting the bearing caps back on the same side and the same way (there is a top to it) and the only special tools you will need is going to be a foot pount torque wrench and a dial indicator torque wrench to set the pinion bearing preload. these dial indicator 0-20+ inch pound torque wrenches are hard to find but you can do it with a spring scale and wrapping a string around the pinion, pull on it with the scale setting the preload until the scale reads what the pinion preload and it wont be perfect but it will be far closer than guessing.

Back