• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Problem

wheelin79cj

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing a lift, Y-Link and Advance Adapters SYE on my wife's 1999 XJ. It has the 231 transfer case.

Everything went really smooth with the SYE, I guess maybe too good because when I went to install the rear yoke it doesn't seem to be the right yoke, tailhousing, output shaft or something. I suspect they sent a wrong yoke. The yoke they sent has the sealing surface and then tapers down to the splines. The taper ends in a surface that is 90* to the shaft/splines. It appears to be too large and the taper shouldn't be there. Even with lubing up the seal and yoke the first 3 or 4 times I tried to install it, the outer lip of the seal rolled in on itself. I ended up having to use a pocket screwdriver to get it over the 90* flat surface and onto the taper. Then it bottoms out on the bearing with the inner lip of the seal still on the taper (which isn't machined smooth) and the outer lip of the seal is MAYBE a 1/4 inch onto the machined sealing surface. No way this is right. I thought maybe the output shaft needed to come out more, but if it did it wouldn't matter because the yoke nut would bottom out anyway. Anyone have any suggestions? I will be posting up pictures as soon as I can go get them when my son goes to bed. I would just call their tech line, but go figure....it is only open M-F when everyone installs stuff on their vehicles. :rolleyes: Thanks.
-Aaron

Well, I ran out for a minute and snapped these...I will probably pull the yoke back off and take a picture of that too. It is only installed hand tight, but it will bottom out and tighten up in about a quarter inch or so.

CIMG1123.jpg

CIMG1124.jpg

Last edited:
Ok...This might help a bit. Maybe someone with the AA kit can tell me if this looks like their yoke. The first picture you can see the line on the polished surface that is where the outer seal lip rides when the yoke is fully installed and the ring on the tapered part that isn't polished is where the inner seal lip rides. I know this isn't right, but what is causing this? I did look inside and confirm it was actually bottoming out on the bearing in the tailshaft housing.

CIMG1125.jpg

CIMG1127.jpg

CIMG1130.jpg

Back