• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover bolt hole leaking coolant?

Robs92XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is a recently acquired '92 Cherokee w/ 4.0L, 208k.

So I'm removing my valve cover today (first time) to clean out the CCV baffles and such, and I notice coolant coming out of one the valve cover bolt holes. The hole in question is right above cylinder #4 on the driver's side. I'm hoping this bolt just threads into a water jacket. none of the other bolt holes have any coolant.

If I squeeze one of the radiator hoses, coolant will sort of geyser out of this hole. It comes out so freely that I doubt a cracked head or leaky head gasket could be responsible. I can't find any other place that coolant is coming out, and I don't have any obvious signs of internal coolant leaks like oil in coolant or vice versa, or steaming exhaust.

Oh, and "leaking" really isn't the right word; a little came out when I first removed the bolt, and more comes out if I squeeze the hoses, but otherwise the hole is just filled with coolant.

I've read on here that one of the head bolts threads into a water jacket, but found nothing about valve cover bolts. Can anyone confirm my water jacket theory or otherwise explain this?

Thanks! Rob

I hate to be the messenger, but none of the VC bolts thread into a coolant jacket:bawl:

for you to cause coolant to flow out of a VC bolt hole by squeezing a hose, you've got to have a hole/crack in the head.
Head bolt into coolant-yes
VC bolt into coolant-nope

Today I went to put on a new valve cover gasket and discovered two driver's side valve cover bolt bosses leaking coolant like this. I don't recall ever reading about this issue, so decided to continue a previous thread. I'm treating the two valve cover bolts like the #11 head bolt: with sealant.

It's possible that some one tried to use a too-long bolt and punched through the bottom of the hole.
Its also possible someone did not clear dried rtv from the hole and/or the bottom of the bolt when changing the valve cover gasket and punched through the bottom.
Could be a bad casting...

Back