• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk when taking off

Jiggity1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, had my 97 xj classic for 3 years. Never had any problems getting me where I am going but when I come to a stop then let off the brake and accelerate It makes an initial clunk then it is fine. If I let off the brake and wait a second or two and creep foreward it will not clunk. So is something wrong or is this a jeep thing?

x2 on checking the u-joints, also see how much "play" there is at the ring and pinion by turning the driveshaft and observing how far it will travel before engaging the R&P.

if the above suggestions check out. My 89 was clunking a month after i replaced the ujoints. Took it to a 4wd place and they said the bearings in the transfer case are shot. And thats what it was.

i would check the lube on the splines of the slip yoke as well

of course, that is depending on what your definition of "clunk" is......everyone has their own

Last edited:
had a clunk for a while, found it was my rear pass. backing plate mount holes were wallowed out, causing the entire drum to rotate, and clunk. replaced the plate and everything else in there, and on the other side. Three days later, no clunk...
But like Fred said, that might have just been my own "clunk"

Back