• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On-going Front Brake Squeeling Problem

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Problem: My right front disk brake on my 2WD MJ (120K miles) started squeeling every morning for about a block, then stopped for the rest of the day. It started about a year ago, so I replaced the front calipers, rotors, brake lines, wheel bearings, and pads. All parts were new Wagner brand, and I used brake grease on all the caliper contact surfaces w. the bracket, and on the back of the pads. It did nothing, and still had same cold morning squeels. Now I'm starting to get a squeel when making a left turn and tapping the brakes at the same time. :flamemad: Since all the front brake parts are new, the only thing I can think of is that the bracket that holds the caliper has been worn down over the years and allows the caliper to much movement. The bracket is part #34 in the pic below. The brakes work just fine, just noisy and it's driving me nuts.

CaliperBracket.jpg

So is my reasoning correct on this or could it be something else? Anyone experience this before? And are these caliper brackets still available anywhere? I would think one from the yard might be worn worse than mine is. All suggestions are very appreciated.

did you grease your caliper pins? that could be holding your calipers and causing squeaking.
Not familiar with Wagner - but I am familiar with cheap pads making tons of noise(inferior materials/fillers). Jack front right up, take tire off, rotate rotor by hand, and see whats binding. My guess is pads.

Yep, sure did grease the caliper pins; calipers are free. There are no squeeks or binding at all turning the wheel by hand. Only in the morning backing out of the garage when tapping the brakes, then a couple of times going forward the same thing, then it's quiet. It just started the squeeking turning left and tapping the brakes. Since all new (not rebuilt) brake parts up front did nothing to stop the squeeking, I'm thinking it's got to be the caliper holder brackets. I was hoping someone else ran into this problem in the past as these things are not cheap.

If you don't mind a slight digression, would you mind telling me where you got the Wagner parts for the 2WD, particularly the rotor/hub (and a part no. for the r/h if it's convenient)? No rush at all on this. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't help with the squeal although I am going to have to address the same issue. Probably a different cause than yours but I will be interested in your solution.

so, here's a weird thought - How do you know its the right front wheel? are you sticking your head out the window and hearing it then? Could it be the pedal hinge, or the piston making noise? just a thought. good luck

If you don't mind a slight digression, would you mind telling me where you got the Wagner parts for the 2WD, particularly the rotor/hub (and a part no. for the r/h if it's convenient)? No rush at all on this. Thanks!

I got the Wagner rotor hubs & calipers at O'Reillys about a year ago. I just checked their site and their price for the rotors has doubled though. :( Here's a link on Ebay for 2WD Brembo rotors, not bad pricing either: CLICK HERE

The brake lines came from Autozone.

so, here's a weird thought - How do you know its the right front wheel? are you sticking your head out the window and hearing it then? Could it be the pedal hinge, or the piston making noise? just a thought. good luck

I let the wife stand in front of the truck and told her to point at where the squeal was coming from. She pointed directly to the RF wheel. She has great hearing when she wants to. :rolleyes:

And of course, the caliper bracket is no longer available from any dealer anywhere, so I'll have to look for a low mileage 2WD XJ or MJ. Anyone have one collecting dust they would like to part with?

Back