• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where's the *&^% clock?

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this one will do pretty well in the dumbest question of all time. I got no choice, just gotta ask. As my question will show I'm pretty new to the jeep experience.

The other day -- when I was driving in the dark -- I found that there's no clock in the jeep. I was suprised, didn't mind much, but did find it somewhat odd and inconvenient. Later, when I thought about it a little more, I couldn't imagine the car not having a clock. After all, mine is a limited edition and those are supposed to be about the top of the line (well, at least it was back in 1992, but they had clocks back then too, right?). Hell, it's even got an outside air temperature reading and a compass....there must be a *&^% clock.

I started googling and e-baying and found that clocks for the cherokee do exist and that they fit somewhere in the dash. Now, this afternoon I checked out my dash and the only place I can think of that could be a clock (or could hold one) is the spot between the main instrument panel and the radio. That about fits the size of those clocks I saw on e-bay. Now before I take my dash apart, can anyone tell me whether I should find a clock there and should check if it's still functional or are these not standard on the cherokee and should I just buy one and install it?

On my 92 it is on the radio. JIM.

your clock is between the radio and the instrument cluster. Take apart the panel cover and you'll find the clock. There's a little bulb in the back of the clock that burns out quite frequently. Dealer item, about $3.00, or get an aftermarket stereo that has a clock.

Your clock should be to the right of the instrument panel. However, the panel that holds the clock may also be a "blank" - with nothing at all.

Most times, the lamp in the clock has burned out, but it's easy to replace. Four screws hold the IP bezel in place, and I believe two screws hold the clock in. You pull the clock and replace the bulb (I think it's a #168/#194, but I don't recall exactly...)

5-90

Cool guys! Thanks for the help. My radio is the original jeep, no clock, no cd, no fancy. However, I somehow like the spartan look of that old cassette player and will go for replacing the bulb in the clock instead. Will do tomorrow.

Sorry again for my ignorance and thanks a bunch for the input!

Tim

On my truck there's a little think on the right of the clock that says hours, mins that you can push w/a pin...Anyways if yours never had a clock you could alwasy swap one in

Don't mean to hi-jack here but on those XJ's w/the clocks that match the idiot light panel were there ever any additional things mounted under the clock as in lights or switches?

He guys, thanks for all the info. Turns out.....the limited has no clock! Can you believe that. They stock that car with a digital compass but no clock. Anyway, will get me one from ebay and with that write-up from go_jeep (that site is truly great!) will et it to work! Thanks again.

My '96 does not have a seperate clock as it is part of the radio. There is a blank space behind where the clock use to mount on the dash so if you have any pet projects for mounting switches, that is a place to go for an unused area.

I finally bit the bullet last year and pulled the stock am/fm/cass out of my 98 and swapped in a Jensen am/fm/cd/bluetooth head unit. It was a well spent $179. It has a clock and of course I run 24 hour time :laugh3: which gets alot of 'what the heck is 1400' :D

Hey dutchjeep,

I have a 91 clock if you want it cheap. I got it from the junkyard and put it into my 96, using gojeep's guide.

I just hooked up 3 wires - constant power, ignition power, and ground. I didn't hook up the dimmer wire, since the clock isn't blindingly bright.

zoro - The clock takes up the entire area behind the panel. You can't drill through it without ruining the clock. But you could attach something to the outside using velcro.

Back