• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 transfer case pickup tube & oring

XJJeepNewb

NAXJA Forum User
I've got my case apart (in a 99 classic) and was wondering about how much pressure it should take to remove/insert the pickup tube into the pump on the NP231.

While cleaning the parts up it goes in and seems to be held by friction (ie, it doesn't just 'drop' out but it's not 'locked' in there very well either.) Is this normal? I ask because it doesn't feel like a very robust way to secure it.

Should I replace it while the case is out if its not broken?

Finally, how to do you remove and re-insert the oring in the pump housing? Just pick it out with a tool and pop another one in there?

Thanks, Keith

Mine was the same way, it just set in there
As far as replacing the pump, is there a problem with the case? Doing an SYE? i just re-used mine, no problems thus far.

Whew, okay good to know. It just didn't seem like much of a connection considering it's crucial to supplying lubricating fluid!

Nothing wrong, I'm doing an SYE and just noticed it while the case was apart. First time I've cracked open a transfer case, was a good learning experience.

Thanks for the quick feedback.....now I've gotta go buy a new chain and shift fork pads then start putting it back together.

Back