• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS to NON ABS

ajporter03

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 XJ 4.0 AW4 that has ABS. I am having all sorts of problems with it and I want to junk the whole system all together. I have spent a fair amount of time searching the forums and I think that it has left me with more questions than answers. I know that I need a new Master Cylinder as well as new wheel cylinders out back. But that is where I get lost. I am pretty sure that I am going to need a new Prop. Valve. Can I get an aftermarket adjustable one, or do I need to find one off of another XJ? Any other advice would be much appreciated. I really hate feeling out of control when I hit the brakes.

My old XJ is a '93 and when I put ZJ disc brakes on the rear axle I had to give up the ABS. It's all still connected but inoperable because I pulled the relay out. The system has a mechanical fail safe mode in the event of electrical failure. The fail safe mode is the same as a non-ABS plumbing. The ABS warning lamp will light up but you can either pull the bulb or blank over the warning display with black electrical tape.

When I swapped axles I simply removed the ABS wheel sensors, the ABS relay and fuses and all works great. On my '98 there is a fuse for the warning light which is also removed on mine.

English XJ said:
When I swapped axles I simply removed the ABS wheel sensors, the ABS relay and fuses and all works great. On my '98 there is a fuse for the warning light which is also removed on mine.

I did the same thing, got the same great results. If you aren't having a mech prob with the system, and it's just electrical related, pull the fuses and relays and you're all good. Search for which relay and fuses to pull, that's how I found it when I did it.

Back