• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad NSS causing no brake lights?

overflow

NAXJA Forum User
In the past couple of weeks, I've had a few people stop me and tell me I have no brake lights. As soon as I get home and test them, however, they seem to work fine (in park.) I know my NSS needs cleaning/replacing because sometimes I can only start in neutral. Also, sometimes I can only take the key out after a good amount of fooling around with the shifter.

Just wondering if this condition can indeed be caused by a faulty NSS, or do I just need adjust the brake light switch? Is there a simple way to adjust the sensitivity of the brake light switch? It seems if I hit the brakes really hard the lights do come on.

I don't know about brake lights, but I know it will cause no reverse lights. This is my second Jeep and the NSS went out on both of them but both still had brake lights.

In the past couple of weeks, I've had a few people stop me and tell me I have no brake lights. As soon as I get home and test them, however, they seem to work fine (in park.) I know my NSS needs cleaning/replacing because sometimes I can only start in neutral. Also, sometimes I can only take the key out after a good amount of fooling around with the shifter.

Just wondering if this condition can indeed be caused by a faulty NSS, or do I just need adjust the brake light switch? Is there a simple way to adjust the sensitivity of the brake light switch? It seems if I hit the brakes really hard the lights do come on.

You can replace the "pressure swith" on the brake. Look under the console on the brake lever and you'll see it, a few inches above the brake pad where you put your foot.
*Dont know exactly what is called...but i can be done. I did this on my old 86 XJ...cheep

You can replace the "pressure swith" on the brake. Look under the console on the brake lever and you'll see it, a few inches above the brake pad where you put your foot.
*Dont know exactly what is called...but i can be done. I did this on my old 86 XJ...cheep

It's actually called a "Stop light switch" and was available at AutoZone (Duralast part F4834.) Took out the old, swapped in the new, works perfectly now. Only $7.99 too! Thanks for the help!

Back