• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A rarity?

thethinginthewoods

NAXJA Forum User
How rare is a 2001 XJ 2-door sport with a NV3550 manual, 231, and all power options (windows and locks) and AC? I am thinking about buying it and was just wondering. Thanks!

-Brian

Jeez guys, I wasn't planning on leaving it stock. I am looking for a daily driver xj, until I finish school (a year) then I'm gonna upgrade all the crap. Starting with the LP D30. I was just wondering how rare it is to find an xj with those specs.

Jeez guys, I wasn't planning on leaving it stock. I am looking for a daily driver xj, until I finish school (a year) then I'm gonna upgrade all the crap. Starting with the LP D30. I was just wondering how rare it is to find an xj with those specs.
pretty rare imo!

How much is it, and where is it ? Axle swap = EZ

It's a buddy of mine that I know through work. He said he sell it to me for $3000. It has 186,000 miles, it's pretty clean except for a few small scratches and dings on the outside. Runs great. Personally, I'm not a huge 2-door fan, but I think I'm probably going to rip out the rear seat an make a platform for storage and tool drawers anyway.

i dont think its worth 3 grand with that many miles. rare specs though... thats alot of miles for an 01 though. something to think about especially if you want a daily driver a kno? my 2 pennies. bestfriend bought one in everette 01 2dr auto with 112 for 1600 lastwinter but that was last winter

iyeah, i think an offer of 2200-2500 would be a better deal.

186k is a little on the high side. average of 20k a year. is it WELL maintained?

I haven't had a chance to check it out in detail yet. It looks pretty clean in and out with only minor scratches and dings from being a Jeep. I'll probably call him and check it out. Supposedly the engine was rebuilt 68,000 ago, but I haven't verified that yet. I'm going to try to talk him down a bit, but I was planning on buying a 99-01 and doing a nv3550 swap anyway, which would have ran a couple grand, so I'd probably still buy it for $3000. I've got plans to overhaul and build it up as soon as I finish school anyway.

If I could do it all over again:
I would buy my rig built with the basics. Sure it was nice having my rig clean but thats not going to last. I have seen rigs for sale all over with RE lifts and good shocks and its a good way to save some money.

I'd swap the head before the axle - the head is more likely to cause you significant trouble. The LP30 is an easy swap, and it's easier to handle a failure in the field.

Yeah, the main reason I want it is because it is clean and in good shape. It also has the NV3550, which i want and would have to buy seperate and do a swap later. I am probably going to keep it very stock or close to it until after I finish school, then the madness will start. As we all know, Jeep stands for just empty every pocket, but I plan on building it up and doing lots of mods, eliminating any weakness it might have such as the #0331 head and the LP D30, etc. It will be far from crap (at least I hope!) by the time I am done with it.

I also want to do a stroker project, but am wondering how much of a fight the OBDII computer would put up with different engine operating conditions.

The computer is not an issue theres a guy down here running a 4.7 no problems with the computer unsure however about DEQ in your area how it would impact getting it to pass smog. His is a trail only rig. I though about a 4.6 stroker they run around 3,500 for the long block. My truck is in a non-smog county in Oregon. Just FYI

I believe most, if not all, late-model 5 speeds had to be ordered that way.

I thought the only model that came stock with the NV3550 was the SE package, which was typically minimal with other accessories such as power options. I just haven't seen many sport models in the final years that people opted to go with the manual over the AW-4.

Back