• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 renix headers

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I find some decent headers for my 88 4/0 ?

I see many posts about APN, but cant seem to find one that will fit my engine.

I need something, my exhaust manifold is toast (surprised it still passes inspection)!

The problem you run into is that the RENIX engine (1987-1990) still has an EGR valve - while my opinion on the thing is well-known, it's not shared by the Powers that Be.

The EGR was deleted in 1991, which is why you can find 1991-1999 XJ 4.0L headers, but not 1987-1990 (they don't have the second bung for the EGR tube.)

I know there used to be some headers out there for RENIX, but I can't recall who made them offhand. Good luck - and if you find one, would you please let me know? That will allow me to put it in my notebook this time.

And Pacesetter.

You could have a muffler shop probably add a bung for the EGR, and you would probably need a different downpipe as I think (against much good advice) that the later headers terminate at a slightly different angle.

Clifford made my single output headers but the last time I checked, they only offered the dual output headers now.

Tie the headers with a bigger cam and you will see much more of an increase. If I was going to have to pick one or the other, I would go with the cam first.

Tie the headers with a bigger cam and you will see much more of an increase. If I was going to have to pick one or the other, I would go with the cam first.

I agree. IMHO you could go with an OEM or APN header, then get a free-flow cat and cat-back exhaust and gain more than an actual "performance" header if you haven't changed the cam.

Back