• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tap broke in hub - brake bolt hole

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
Was attempting to helicoil one of the two brake bolt holes in the right hub today and broke off the tap in the hole. Man!!! I was rushing and screwed it up. Dremeled it flush w/the hub & tried to drill it but the bit made no head-way.
Any easy way to get it out?

broketapinhub.jpg

Wheres the lube??

see if you can find a "reverse thread" drill bit. I've had great luck drilling out other people's mistakes with 'em ('cuz I'd never do that myself:greensmok)

I had this happen to me before. I figured I would take a hammer and a small punch and try to spin it out by tapping on the flutes. Turned out after a taps with the hammer, it shattered into pieces and I was able to pull the remaining pieces out with a pick and a magnet...

Put nails into flutes opposite to each other; grab the nails with a large adjustable wrench and twist the tap out.

like bfred said, you can often shatter a tap in the hole and remove the fragments. If that doesn't work, try a small carbide bit in a dremel and cut through the center of the tap, should split it into two pieces that will fit out of the hole by each other.

EDIT: try what the guy above me said first though, costs a lot less and can't really hurt!

Thank you alot you guys. The nails didn't work, I should have tried that before I mangled the outside edge of the hole. The carbide tipped Dremel cutter did the job. That is a hard azz bit - it didn't even phase the bit after cutting it out.

Back