• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped cross member bolt....any fix?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well a long time ago when i was doing my t-case drop one of the bolts that i was putting back in stripped the nut out. it held for about 2 years, but when i went to put my RK 3-link on, i couldn't get it to tighten at all. the bolt now backs out, and is causing my mount to creak a little bit since i cant get it tight

any fixes to this short of cutting a hole in the "frame" rail and putting a new nut in there?

I would tap the hole out to the next size larger. If necessary convert from SAE to Metric or vice versa

your weld on rk 3 link mount is creaking because a nut is stripped?

the new version isnt weld on. just bolt on. 2 bolts through the frame, and 2 into the cross member.

i am thinking the when i get some frame stiffeners in a couple months, im going to weld it on anyways

I've got the same problem, I get that I need to tap it out to 7/16th but forgive my newby question, what size drill bit should I use to drill it out??

TIA

i did the exact same thing.
I ended up taking the seat out and peeled the carpet back enought to find a small nicely placed hole in the body just above the stripped nut.
I busted the small tack welds off and put a new nut in its place.
It was alot of work, but it gave me piece of mind. I could see the whole damn crossmember ripping off on the trail brcause i wanted to try to halfa$$ a repair.

Buy a 7/16" or even 1/2" tap and look at the label to see which drill bit you should use. Buy grade 8 hardware (why not? an extra 3 bucks) of the appropriate length for your application & drill, tap & re bolt the cross member.
I went 7/16" with mine years ago, no problems. I have heard there is enough meat to the welded nut to go 1/2" but no direct experience.
It's easy.

Back