• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS help

xjnco

NAXJA Forum User
Got tired of the engine stumbling at about 1800 rpm so I decided to replace the TPS. Went calling and found one at Advanced Auto Parts for the price of $34.95 ($37.80 out the door).
I took the throttle body off (4 bolts) to get at it easier (bum right arm).
Replaced it, bolted every back down but now I get a very high idle and the throttle plate doesn't close and doesn't respond as fast as it used to.... WTF? :tears:
Gonna let it set for a coupe of hours and then get back at it, guess I'll take the TB off and try and tighten the return sping up.
Why is there a smaller spring on the front side of the TB tensioned in the open direction?

I konw that on my 92 mustang the tps has to be adjusted. It has to be set at so many ohms. On the mustang you cant just put it on and go they have to be fine tuned. Some people have made the screw hole a little bigger so taht you can have more adjustment. Im not sure what the setting is on a 4.0.. Hope this helps.

You now (probably) have an air leak.You did replace the gasket ?
Also the TPS need to be put in on an angle and then rotated to bolt up.
Don,t mess with the springs---
And it will not need to be calibrated--that is only for RENIX systems
Did you clean it,while you had it off ?
Wayne

Was the sensor you got From Advance Auto a BWD brand? I just has the same issue with one. The part is over molded internally and it causes it to stick. The quality on all BWD products is lacking, very lacking.
I'm willing to bet that with the engine running at high idle if you loose the TPS screws you'll hear it 'click' back into place and the idle will drop.

Head back to advance and get rid of the BWD, request they 'second source' a different brand.

Last edited:
Check the voltage to the tps. If it's high it will give you that problem too. It should he around 5 volts, search though.

I took things apart, they were fine. I disconnected the smaller spring that attaches to the same arm as the cables from the gas pedal and cruise control (with the TPS off first & then on) and the throttle plate closes now as it should. All is ok and it runs fine now.
RCman it is a BWD brand and it fit ok, no problems from it yet.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Back