• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper mounts

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I am making a rear bumper. For the rear mounting plates, is it ok to only use two of the stock mounting holes on each side? Specifically the top two on each side. I have it tied into the frame rails with 4 bolts on each side also.

So in total it will be held in with 12 bolts. Is that good enough for medium to heavy recoveries?

In theory that should work.

Though a picture would be helpful I would think if it is tied in to where the rear hitch mounts or a similar placement it should be fine. You should always be careful when yanking that ur mounts are secure. If u have done that then u should be good.
Stukboy

Yes, they are tied into the place where the a hitch would go using 3/16" angle iron, and 1/4" angle iron for the factory bumper holes. I don't plan on any hard pulls, I just hope that it could handle it.

If it ties in to the frame the way a hitch does it should be fine. Plenty of people, me included use the hitch for recovery purposes all the time.

Stock mounting has eight, I am only using 4. Additionaly I am tieing it into the frame rails with 4 bolts per rail, so 12.

Thanks for the help.

I didn't know they used 10 bolts! lol But I think 8 of them will sufice, from what I've seen some people only use 6 of them.

Here are pics of my mounts. The top 2 holes on the rear crossmember are being used on each side. Also 4 holes on each frame rail.

DSCN7136.jpg

DSCN7137.jpg

DSCN7138.jpg

DSCN7139.jpg

DSCN7133.jpg

DSCN7134.jpg

DSCN7135.jpg

the bumper is in no way near being done, that is just a mock up of what it will look like minus the clevis mounts and 2' reviever tube, new paint and stuff

NO, NO, NO.... Use all the stock mounting bolt holes....

And I'll tell you why. Look at the other side of your rear crossmember, 4 (IIRC the outer ones) of the bumper bolts go through the crossmember and attach via weld nuts onto your shackle hangar box. Now without the bolts adding rigidy to that whole joint.... I broke the tiny spot welds holding the flimsy sheet metal shackle box. Now the whole area is a mess of weld, and I still don't have alot of faith in the joint.

I'd avoid it, forever worrying about your leaf spring mounts coming unglued isn't worth the time it'll take you to fab a better mount.

Your brackets are to light-weight to begin with!

Back