• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to look at when buying lifted jeep

motoxpete

NAXJA Forum User
I test drove a new XJ last night that's already lifted 3in I think. It's a skyjacker lift. Truck runs good but makes a wierd sound when I turn the wheel only to the left while driving at like 50mph. I had my gf turn the wheel while I looked at the moving parts but couldn't see anything.... Think it could be the power steering pump ??? If not anyone have any clues of what it could be??
Thank's
Pete

Any chance you will tell us what the weird noise actually sounds like? Weird noise is very vague.

lol good idea..... while diving at 50 and say u go around a small bend I hear a noise kinda like the tire was rubbing on somthing.... it's like once you turn the wheel left past a certain point it make's the noise, and the farther u turn it the louder the noise gets. The front right fender flair was torn off.... When I was driving I though the noise could have been the tire rubbing the fender flair on the left. Once I got out I could see the tire was no where near anything.......??? I'm sure it can be fixed whatever it is but kinda wanna know before I buy the truck

Last edited:
OK that's not to bad..... Let's make this easyer. It's a 1997 with 110000 miles. I like the fact that it has the lift on that one cause that's something I would do anyway. They asked 4900 I offered 3900 and they said yes..... should I buy it?? I mean what's the worse thing it could be right....???

when buying a used modified jeep your going to have to work on it eventually. Tell the owner about the noise you hear and say its a ujoint or something that you think it is and talk him down on the price.

I was going to say U-joint before you told what it was. u-joints "click" around corners, and they do it at low speeds as well.

when buying a used modified jeep your going to have to work on it eventually. Tell the owner about the noise you hear and say its a ujoint or something that you think it is and talk him down on the price.

I don't really think you can talk a person down on a $20 part that is extremely easy to change, especially when they have already come down $1,000.

ok ok one more question then I'm gonna go buy it. The truck has ABS, I have had ton's of problems with my ABS and I'm in the process of swapping it out now. Should I not buy the truck based on my experience with the ABS???

Could also be a hub bearing assembly going bad.

I bought my first and last lifted vehicle a number of years ago. Never again. I'd rather buy a stock vehicle that shows signs of being properly maintained and never offroad. That way I can be assured that some knucklehead hasn't goobered it up with homebrew mods and adjustments never mind the abuse an offroader vehicle gets. Your buying a vehicle that has a problem that I'm sure the seller knows about and has done nothing to fix it. What does that tell you?

Personally I think your taking your chances. Buying a vehicle that has a problem when you know what it is and how much its going to cost you to fix it is one thing. Buying a vehicle with an issue that could be anything and not having the wherewithal to diagnose it is entirely another matter. That might be (read as probably) why the seller is getting rid of it. Good luck.

If it only does it when turning to the left and sounds like a grinding noise, it could be the wheel contacting the tie-rod end. This will be evident by the outermost inside edge of the rim being very rough and showing signs of contact.
If that's the case you'll need spacers or rims with different offset

If it only does it when turning to the left and sounds like a grinding noise, it could be the wheel contacting the tie-rod end. This will be evident by the outermost inside edge of the rim being very rough and showing signs of contact.
If that's the case you'll need spacers or rims with different offset

Well I'll tell you what now that make's a lot of sence!!!!! I'm gonna look into that

Back