• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3rd gear mishap

ezsk8er

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 motor with a 5 speed tranny. i can take first gear all the way to 6 grand second gear all the way to six grand and 4 all the way to six grand the problem is in third gear once i get to 2800 3000 the motor falls flat on its face and i have no idea where to start to look for the problem. it sounds as if the motor completly shuts down

Which drag strip are you running at?

Just kidding! :roflmao:

Is this under load or are you just riding the throttle?

ok well i only took it to 6 grand a couple times to see if it did it in any other range but just 3rd gear at 2800 to 3000 and it wont go past that till i bang fourth then it revs all the way no problem. and the delema is right where it falls on its face is like 55 60 so merging on the high way is tricky this is under no load stock drivetrain with 6 inches of lift and 33 12.50's im thinking computer but i am completely lost as to what it could be

if it was fuel pressure wouldnt it happen in a variety of rpms and gears it has been doing this for 2 months and never varies

I was thinking fuel pressure because it happens when you are accelerating at a high rpm... which requires more fuel delivery... and if it doesn't get enough then the engine will give you that "cut-out" sensation. When there is less demand on the engine then a fuel pump that is "going bad" may still work "well enough" not to notice any problems.

Back