• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Oil Pressure Update

Jeemy B.

NAXJA Forum User
Ok when it is cold oil pressure is between 40-50 psi and the warmer the jeep gets the worse it gets. Before the oil change (I got yesterday) at idle it would sit at 10 then drop to 0 check gauges light would come on. And if it was left at 0 next time I started it you could hear the rockers clankin but if I turned the engine off at 10+ psi it would not do that. Now that I changed the oil Mobile1 Full Synthetic 10-30 problem still exits but I havent seen the gauge drop to 0 yet. Your thoughts?

First, don't trust the gauge. Hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what an accurate reading is.

What brand of oil filter are you running?

Oil Filter is Valvoline* (Spell check)
Engine is 4.0 HO 135k
You still think I need to hook up a mechanical oil gauge even know when the pressure is low when I turn off the engine and when started again it knocks?

Oil Filter is Valvoline* (Spell check)
Engine is 4.0 HO 135k
You still think I need to hook up a mechanical oil gauge even know when the pressure is low when I turn off the engine and when started again it knocks?

The electrical gauges on the dash are NOT accurate. A mechanical is the only way to be 100%.

I would, just for the peace of mind, or confirmation of a problem.

My 4.0, 1990 Renix with 137k original miles, rattles all the time, but the oil pressure is 20-ish at warm idle and 40-60 cold, and that is confirmed with a mechanical gauge. I run Shell Rotella 15w40 year round for the cleaning and ZDDP in it.

Mobil 1 10w30 is a great oil, and I have run it in a lot of vehicles. Not familiar with the Valvoline filters. Some filters have poor pressure bypass valves and tend to give lower pressure levels. I stick with the NAPA Gold, but Wix are reported to be good filters.

Also, someone recently posted on here that they had a low pressure condition, pulled the pan and found the pump pickup screen full of crap.

Long and short of it, rule of thumb is 10 psi for each 1000 rpm.

i had this same problem in my 92 cherokee limited. I pulled the oil filter housing off (because it was leaking) and got a new filter housing rebuild kit. It was about 13 bucks from the jeep dealership. Then i put in a new oil sending control sensor. I put in a new high volume oil pump from auto zone. When i put it all back together it hasn't had the problem since. It still idles between 40-60psi when cold and about 20 when its warm, and thats what it should be at (or at least what mostly everybody elses runs at). I would check that filter housing to see if its leaking though.

Back