• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM rear leaf shackle strength

kastein

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
While installing my lift last weekend I noticed my rear shackles had some rust on them... not sure how much weaker than stock they are, I could bend one side of one of them with my hand. What I can say is that one of the following 3 things is true:
* mine are badly rusted and need replacing ASAP
* Jeep used some of the weakest shackles I have ever seen in my life
* I got exposed to gamma rays and have turned into The Incredible Hulk

I'm leaning towards option 1 or 2 personally... anyone else have shackles this weak?

If so, anyone have a random pair of decent stock shackles or mild lift (1" or so?) shackles they want to offload?

Warrior makes a nice 1" lift shackle too - looks like they used 1/8 or 3/16 plate to make them, and seem nicely powdercoated. They are straight, though.

Got a set in the back of the truck waiting to go on...

I have 3 stock shackles, good bushings. They are rusty too but not anything structural from what I can see. I can mail them if you want to purchase them for cheap!

BTW the boomerang shackles are awesome. I've got some of the 1.5" flavor from TNT customs. They are pricy but beefy and the angle is awesome for flex.

By the way, my boomerangs used to hit one of the bumper bolts/nuts on the backside of the shackle box. I simply removed the bolt and broke the weld nut. Now it doesn't hit. The rear bumper brackets are more than sturdy enough with 3 bolts per side holding it to the crossmember. Afterall, that's how many bolts the front bumper brackets use! So eliminating one bolt and nut per side for the rear bumper brackets will not harm anything at all.

Back