• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Engine Skid Question

16guns

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my skid ( set up for LA but running a SA) I like to keep my options open. Anyway my exhaust rattles on the skid. Any ideas how to fix this? It does not do it all the time it comes and goes. :dunno:

mine rattled against the side of the skid, so i cut that part out that was touching, no more rattle.
If it's on the bottom where it rattles, you can sometimes get some clearance by loosening the downpipe clamp and the clamp further back on the exhaust and tweak it up a bit and lock back down. Good luck! -B

Mine did the exact thing when I installed my Rusty's skid. Mine was hitting on the driver side bracket. I just had the local muffler shop remove about 1 inch out of the section of exhaust pipe that crosses over the engine/transmission and no more rattles.

I noticed that my exhaust the crosses over actually rests on the skid! Also the access hole for the drain plug is too far back to reach the plug! I had the skid installed at a 4x4 shop when it was in for an alignment. I am starting to think the shop somehow messed it up.

It's completely normal. I couldn't even get mine one without having to do some cutting of the actual skid plate. Here is what I had to do:
DSC00837.jpg

Quick work with a grinder and I was done.

After closer inspection I see that the pipe is resting on one of the nuts holding the plate to the bracket. I put a screwdriver between them and was able to seperate the two and the rattle went away. I am sure it will return. As for the drain hole ...it looks to be three inches back from the actual plug. I guess a hole saw is needed! I hate to hack at it but how else to reach the plug with out a swivel...and I like to thread the plugs in by hand at first to reduce the chances of it stripping out.

And thanks for the responses. Especially the xfer case...( I used to think this sh!t only happens to me and everything lines up for everyone else!)that's my next purchase...after I get the code P0455 major evap figured out!

After closer inspection I see that the pipe is resting on one of the nuts holding the plate to the bracket. I put a screwdriver between them and was able to seperate the two and the rattle went away. I am sure it will return. As for the drain hole ...it looks to be three inches back from the actual plug. I guess a hole saw is needed! I hate to hack at it but how else to reach the plug with out a swivel...and I like to thread the plugs in by hand at first to reduce the chances of it stripping out.

And thanks for the responses. Especially the xfer case...( I used to think this sh!t only happens to me and everything lines up for everyone else!)that's my next purchase...after I get the code P0455 major evap figured out!

The hole is positioned for the hose and quick connect oil drain kit that Rustys sell, not for wrench access to the drain plug. When I used the quick connect hose set up it was fast and easy to change oil. I lost the cap so now I just drop the skid when I want to change oil, adds 10 minutes to the change time so its not a big deal. Love the skid plate.

John

Cool thanks for the info. I'll check out Rusty's website. I like the skid too also my Rusty's gas tank skid is beefy too!

Her's a few pictures of the Rusty's Engine/Transmission Skid. It mounted up without any issues on my 96. I have slid on it a few times without any problems.
Jeep103.jpg

Jeep100.jpg

Keep an eye on your driveshaft too. when flexing the shaft moves over and can rub on the bracket. I had to cut a piece out and weld on another to prevent rubbing. Just a shitty design all around.
To take care of the oil change problem, as much as i hate to say it, FRAM has a 'Quick Drain' product that is really perfect for this. An adapter piece gets threaded into where the plug would go, and a cap goes over that. When you want to change your oil, you take the cap off and feed on a length of Fram hose and thread it onto the adapter piece through the skid hole. There is a protrusion that pushes in on the adapter and releases the oil out through the hose which happens to fit through the skid hole. It's still kinda bitchy to get the cap off sometimes so just don't over tighten, but way easier!
I've actually got so sick of that plate it sits in my garage with the rest of his crap, save for his t-case skid, that i like. -B

Back