• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nss starts in all gears

xjRyan96

NAXJA Forum User
My reverse lights didn't work so i decided to take apart and clean the nss. I forgot to test if the truck would start in any gear before i took the switch off. Well i cleaned it, put it back on and the reverse lights work now:eeks1:. But my cel still pops up and the truck starts in all gears. I tried adjusting it multiple times. checked continuity also. Any words of advise

Did you follow these steps. I know when I did my tranny swap it took me forever to get it right. That damn NSS is so sensitive.

nss.jpg

a.jpg

Last edited:
When I cleaned the NSS on my 98 I purposely tightened the bolt until the shifter had difficulty moving from P out of gear. I did NOT ream on the bolt or tighten it all the way....just tight enough to make the shifter tight. I then backed it off very slowly only a little bit at a time until I had the right resistance in the shifter stalk. This process took me 20 minutes to dial in once the unit was re-mounted. I also did it outside in 9 degree weather so its definitely doable. Good luck!

do you really need to disconnect the shift linkage rod. I read the write up on gojeep.com and he didn't say anything about shift linkage. maybe that could be it.

No you don't. I used an ohm meter across the B&C terminals with the shifter in neutral (block the wheels!!). Simply rotate the NSS until the needle jumps to indicate continuity.

Once set, move the shifter and the Ohm meter should show infinite resistance (open circuit) for all gear selections other than P & N.

Back