• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee battery in a Cherokee. Bad?

3fifty

NAXJA Forum User
My battery in my XJ died. Can I replace it with my battery from my Grand Cherokee for a day or two?

Cherokee Battery
Autocraft Silver Battery
Part No. 58-2
CCA: 550; OE Group 58; OE CCA Rating: 430; Optional OE Group 58; Optional OE CCA Rating: 500

Grand Cherokee Battery
Autocraft Silver Battery
Part No. 65-1
CCA: 675; OE Group 65; OE CCA Rating: 625

Yeah its in, clears everything. Just wanted to make sure I wouldnt fry anything.

Thanks.

No, you won't. They're both 12VDC nominal, and the systems and such will only draw the current they need.

Kinda like installing an over-amped alternator - your alternator may be capable of delivering 200A, but that doesn't mean it's always going to deliver 200A in operation - that's what the regulator is for. It monitors system voltage to make sure that it's just generating the current required, and no more.

No, you won't. They're both 12VDC nominal, and the systems and such will only draw the current they need.

Kinda like installing an over-amped alternator - your alternator may be capable of delivering 200A, but that doesn't mean it's always going to deliver 200A in operation - that's what the regulator is for. It monitors system voltage to make sure that it's just generating the current required, and no more.
Hey thanks, thats actually been a grey spot in my automotive electrical knowledge.

Good to know:exclamati

Hey thanks, thats actually been a grey spot in my automotive electrical knowledge.

Good to know:exclamati

Just one little word of caution: If that battery contacts the inside of the hood, you will probably burn your XJ up.

I had the "pleasure" of rewiring numerous Peugeot 604 cars that had the wrong size battery put in by the owners, they shorted out and caused fires.

My .02 worth on the subject of using a too-tall battery.

Just one little word of caution: If that battery contacts the inside of the hood, you will probably burn your XJ up.

I had the "pleasure" of rewiring numerous Peugeot 604 cars that had the wrong size battery put in by the owners, they shorted out and caused fires.

My .02 worth on the subject of using a too-tall battery.

Similar problem - my two stepbrothers used to get bent at me because I wouldn't let them drive my car (1966 Bug. Why should I? I paid for it...)

The battery being under the back seat behind the driver, it just took some creative bouncing and wiggling to short out the system temporarily.

I ended up solving that little problem with a suitably-sized sheet of 1/4" MDF. AND, by telling them they had to walk, because I was tired of fixing problems they caused.

Back