• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with removing the door limiter pin (pic)

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
Is this just a simple punch it down through the top kinda deal??? This thing is clearly off-centered and my door creaks like crazy when opening or closing

I just wanted to make sure i don't screw anything up. Can i get these pins from autozone or advance autoparts??

00509957.jpg

I took a small hammer and knocked up from the bottom....mine was worn out so I had picked a couple up at the local JY last time I was there. Hammered a new one in from the top ( a little harder cause a bolt head is in the way).
Lubed everything up. They are a dealer part, maybe 30 or 40 bucks each and special order. eheheheh.

punch up not down

better yet spray it with silicon grease and the squeaks will go away. the reason it is there is to keep the door from getting caught in the wind and folding forward, resulting in creased door and fender

The holes on the bracket that bolts to the jamb will usually be wallowed out as well.
I would go to the JY and get the pins and brackets from the rear doors of a 4 door-they will usually have much less wear then the fronts.

Nick

Have read on this forum about people replacing those with clevis pins from the hardware store.

Punch up from the bottom, and/or pull with vise-locks. There's a largish bulge above the bracket to keep the pin from falling down out of it.

Replace with a 1/4" clevis pin or hitch pin, inserted from the top.

If you have to replace the entire door check anyhow, you may find it easier to remove the entire assembly - bracket and all - and then take the pin out on the bench, since you'll have more room that way.

The holes on the bracket that bolts to the jamb will usually be wallowed out as well.
I would go to the JY and get the pins and brackets from the rear doors of a 4 door-they will usually have much less wear then the fronts.

Nick
I did exactly this - worked great. You're going to want to replace the brackets, they WILL be egged out if you are hearing squeaking and clunking. The junkyard I went to looked at me funny and told me to get the hell out when I asked how much they wanted for them, I think the guy was too lazy to bother taking my money. I also got some more of the pins while I was there. Put some silicone or lithium grease on the new ones and they will take a lot longer to wear out and will be quieter as well.

They're called Door Checks. You can find new parts at Team Cherokee. I used a 6mm screw and locknut when one of my pins broke.

I pretty much did the same as everyone above. I replaced the bracket that bolts to the body and the pin because the bracket hole was wallowed out. Since then, I have had no squeaks or creaks.

A trick I found when replacing the bracket. Take a pair of vice grips before you pop the pin and clip it to the flat rod right before it goes into the door. This keeps the rod from retracting into the door and makes it easier to line up holes in the bracket, the hole in the rod, and the pin for reassembly. Plus the vice grips gives you a handle to hold the rod in place to drive the pin in.

I pretty much did the same as everyone above. I replaced the bracket that bolts to the body and the pin because the bracket hole was wallowed out. Since then, I have had no squeaks or creaks.

A trick I found when replacing the bracket. Take a pair of vice grips before you pop the pin and clip it to the flat rod right before it goes into the door. This keeps the rod from retracting into the door and makes it easier to line up holes in the bracket, the hole in the rod, and the pin for reassembly. Plus the vice grips gives you a handle to hold the rod in place to drive the pin in.
freeking excellent idea w/ the visegrips.....duh....geeez.:wave1:

I tried a split pin, similar to the one there only no taper or bulges, had to keep knocking it down every once in a while. Got one from a local fastener shop for .99 cents, also seen them lately in the help section of AA where they are still overpriced at like $3 or so.
Place had some jeep stuff like the loops for holding the door straps on TJ's, even the straps and torx bolts themselves.
The only one he's ever been stumped on are the intake/exhaust nuts with those spring washers. Next trip to the JY I'm going to find me a hand full or two of them.
Now that Chrysler pulled the licenses on the local Dodge dealer I'm back to a 30-40 mile one way ride to the nearest one.

One other thing LUBE THAT AREA, geeze.

I tried a split pin, similar to the one there only no taper or bulges, had to keep knocking it down every once in a while. Got one from a local fastener shop for .99 cents, also seen them lately in the help section of AA where they are still overpriced at like $3 or so.
Place had some jeep stuff like the loops for holding the door straps on TJ's, even the straps and torx bolts themselves.
The only one he's ever been stumped on are the intake/exhaust nuts with those spring washers. Next trip to the JY I'm going to find me a hand full or two of them.
Now that Chrysler pulled the licenses on the local Dodge dealer I'm back to a 30-40 mile one way ride to the nearest one.

One other thing LUBE THAT AREA, geeze.
Now whats wrong w/ using Jeep parts and keeping it pure....after all what 22 dollars for the armrest insert if it means keeping it Jeep....huh? huh? 50 cents for 2 at the JY. Rule #1_:doh: Never even talk to the dealer!

Now whats wrong w/ using Jeep parts and keeping it pure....after all what 22 dollars for the armrest insert if it means keeping it Jeep....huh? huh? 50 cents for 2 at the JY. Rule #1_:doh: Never even talk to the dealer!

Some stuff you are stuck, those spring nuts for the intake and exhaust manifold are a perfect example. I know SOMEBODY has to make them, the fastener guy also knows this and so far has had no luck.
I almost crapped when I priced the hinge fix for our 97ZJ, they ONLY sold the complete hinges at $72 each, got the pins and bushings on Ebay off some supplier in Florida for like $15 and had enough parts for both front doors.
Now I got spares.

Back