• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driver seat belt swap

wgregt

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever swapped a driver seat belt (not the strap...only the female piece on your right hip)? Mine has stopped grabbing the male piece lately. It will go in & click if you work at it, but if you yank on the shoulder strap it comes right out. Easy to fix? I was thinking I could get a screwdriver blade in there somehow to pry up the catch, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone done this? Or maybe swapped it out for a junkyard one (if I could find one)?

-greg in SoCal

Mine is finiky too, but i havent done anthing to it yet. I'm always double checking it to make sure it actually caught.

Yeah, I wanna get this fixed before I start kissing the windshield unexpectedly and at a high velocity....

What year and where in SoCal? I have a spare one from a 97+ you can have.

I haven't had this problem with an XJ yet, but on other vehicles it was usually an accumulation of excess environmental debris--or crap, as I like to call it--in the mechanism.

Unbolt it, pull it out and blow it out with compressed air and then give it a couple of shots of aerosol silicone--far, far away from any O2 sensor equipped vehicles. That may solve your problem for fifteen minutes of effort and a nickles worth of spray.

It is pretty easy to just swap the whole part, it is just one bolt on the floor. I believe it is a T35 or a T40 bolt. Like any other bolt on a Jeep, be sure to get underneath and spray some penetrating oil on the bolt. It is not uncommon for the seat belt latch to fail, better off to replace it than to try to "fix" it.

I HATE Torx Bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KILL the Torx inventor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spraying the crap out of it! Yea right! Spray it everyday for a month then if ur lucky on a sunny day it may break loose!

NO stress here!!!!
Just got done pulling all the belts out of mine. The fronts were VERY easy but the rears. HOLY S-H-I-T what a pain.

OOPS Sorry for the hijack!

Replace the whole thing it's not that bad!
Stukboy

PS: Did I mention I HATE Torx Bolts?

I HATE Torx Bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KILL the Torx inventor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spraying the crap out of it! Yea right! Spray it everyday for a month then if ur lucky on a sunny day it may break loose!

NO stress here!!!!
Just got done pulling all the belts out of mine. The fronts were VERY easy but the rears. HOLY S-H-I-T what a pain.

OOPS Sorry for the hijack!

Replace the whole thing it's not that bad!
Stukboy

PS: Did I mention I HATE Torx Bolts?

First, have a couple beers.

Second, move to Arizona and buy a different XJ there. People living in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks, and people living in nasty climates shouldn't complain about rust!!! :cheers:

It is pretty easy to just swap the whole part, it is just one bolt on the floor. I believe it is a T35 or a T40 bolt. Like any other bolt on a Jeep, be sure to get underneath and spray some penetrating oil on the bolt. It is not uncommon for the seat belt latch to fail, better off to replace it than to try to "fix" it.

Agreed, trying to "fix" an important safety component like the seat belt would not be wise, and you can get them for next to nothing at the salvage yard. However, throwing away a part when it just needs cleaning, well, that wasn't how I was raised.

joe_peters, u make a good point. I'll be packing up tomorrow.
What town did u say u lived in?? ha
OH wait ur in Oregon

I still HATE Torx Bolts and I don't throw rocks. he!
Stukboy

Stukboy

The most important thing to remember with torx bolts is be sure you are using the correct size. It is very easy to use one size smaller and not realize it. When you think you have the right size, try the next one up!!!!

joe_peters, u make a good point. I'll be packing up tomorrow.
What town did u say u lived in?? ha
OH wait ur in Oregon

Stukboy

Always room for more! :party:

Our winters haven't been much to talk about now for the past 15 years or so--pretty damn mild. Hoping we are due for a cyclic change as I truly love the snow!!!

Back