• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some new paint.

Coastie

NAXJA Forum User
I have been wanting to paint my Jeep desert tan since I got it. After reading and seeing everyone else's jobs I decided to give it a go.

The first day was the worst about 8 hours of sanding, washing, sanding, washing some more. Today the second day I finally got the first coat down that is where I had to stop because I tapped the whole town of paint :confused1 and am waiting on more to come in tomorrow.

IMG00062.jpg

IMG00063.jpg

IMG00064.jpg

I am sorry about the crappy photos, I dropped my last camera in a river and only have my cell phone.

Looks pretty good, i like the color. Is it going to stay flat? ive always thought about putting flat paint on a daily driven, (or wheeled) rig. It looks great on show cars, but its a bitch to take care of, i wouldnt want to try to keep my car clean all the time if it had flat paint, i think you'd have to wash it every day!

Great job.

I'm doing the exact same thing to my "new" 89. I'm in the sanding and washing stage right now. Can you give me some specifics on what type of paint, color code, and any tips or things you would do different?

I'm wanting to rhino line from the bottom body contour down. I'm also cutting and folding the fender wells

This is what I am using.

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/

Khaki - 4291

I would be ready to buy more paint than you thought. I used 9 cans on the first coat and I planned on using 10 (one was defective). I think another 6-9 will get the job done.

Also that Krylon paint puts down a lot of dust so if you go back and re hit a section you have to clean it off as not to paint over dust.

That looks great Coastie! I dig the desert tan.

I can relate to the sanding (maybe not as much as ehall ;) ) but you should have a good base for the paint.

After I eat my toaster stroodle I will be going outside to finish it up.

Today I am gonna sand the whole first coat down with 600 and then spray another on.

I am playing with the idea of painting the roof white. What do you guys think? If I do go with a white roof should I go with a gloss or a flat white?

To keep interior cabin temps down?

I really dont think there would be much difference between the tan and white... a couple degrees at most. But if you did go white i would do flat.

I would wanna go white for aesthetic reasons only. But...

I just got done with the 2nd coat and after letting it dry for about 2 hours I took off all the masking and put the roof rack back on and the black trim. I also painted the lower portion of the doors black with some Dupicolor Bed Liner (which I don't think is going to turn out well) but the black and tan color scheme looks pretty good.

I am going to let dry over night and then remove the rest of the masking to take more photos for you guys. I will also write up a final note on my job.

looks good! i dig the black and tan

Okay well it's all done.

The first thing I want to say about doing this kinda of job is you get what you pay for, spending more time on prep will definitely help your paint job but a rattle can job is still a rattle can job.

Painting my Jeep from black to tan took about 22 hours total. Out of that 22 hours 90% of the time was spent sanding the Jeep. The process was sand, wash and sand the shiny parts. My goal wasn't to take it down to bare metal but to just break the clear coat and use the original paint as a base. I broke the clear coat with 220 grit and once all that was gone I ruffed up the original paint with some 180.

Painting the Jeep was the easiest part but the two problem areas I had were roof and the hood. Being the largest surface area. It took about 9 cans to do the first coat, after the first coat was dry I washed the Jeep with dish soap and a bone sponge then sanded it with 600 grit. After that I washed it again, same as above. The 2nd coat definitely made the difference, being originally black the first coat didn't hide the color well but the 2nd coat really brought out the desert tan color.

For the lower portion of the Jeep I used Dupicolor bed liner and this stuff sucked! I will not be using it again for anything. The reason I chose it was I wanted something that would be thicker than paint and hold up better. I wanted the thickness of the bed liner because the lower half was in rough shape and I wanted to hide that as much as I could. However this stuff sucked at bonding with the tan coat. I sanded it down with 180 before hand to try and let the bed liner adhear better but it just didn't work out that well.

If you are planning on doing a rattle can job don't be afraid to do it! I read just about everything I could find on the process and talked to anyone that would give me advice or tips on a DIY paint job. I would like to thank Eric from http://www.ericsxj.com/ his write up and final outcome really pushed me over the edge with doing this, although I don't think it came out as good, I am proud of the job and I did and think it is in the middle of all the rattle can jobs I have seen on here.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

IMG00071.jpg

IMG00072.jpg

That is EXACTLY what I want mine to turn out like. I'm going from red to tan. I've been debating on whether to do a base primer coat first. From the looks of yours, that is not necessary.

The 89 has chrome trim (yuck), so I am taking all of the black trim from my 90 donor vehicle.

Problem I am running into right now is weather. Kinda hard to sand when it's raining :laugh3:

Again, great job..... I've got some inspiration.....

let's see a picture of your door jambs!

I'm painting my two door the same color (different brand i think) and you are absolutely right, the prep is the biggest part of the job. Only of course, if you care about it looking somewhat decent. My goal was for my rig NOT to look like it used to be red! Lots of things to remove and/or mask!

I've got the light grey interior.

I'll post up some pics of my process from this weekend. Plans are to complete door swap, the sanding, and swapping the lift and tires from the 90. Wish me luck....

Back