• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch cable question

YJ-GENRAL

NAXJA Forum User
so for those that have had a kink or bend or other malady in your winch cable... and providing its near to the end (couple feet or so):

Is there a way to safely cut the cable and reloop it and not have to worry about it breaking or loosening out while in a pull?

i have a kink in the cable and i want to cut it and reloop the end so that i dont have the kink in the cable... other than buying a new cable and replacing the whole thing.

its not unsafe at this point but kinks arent good either...

i know i will loose several feet of cable but i have never spooled the whole thing out anyways for a pull so i dont mind loosing that length.

any suggestions are welcome, or experience.

on mine there is a machine-squeezed clamp that holds the loop together. i think if you could replicate that, you'd be cool. maybe call the winch company and ask them what they do for the loop. if the winch is under warranty, they may send you a new cable. superwinch decided to send me a new motor with no questions asked...........

There should be no issues other than loosing a few feet of cable. The reason they say to leave four or five wraps on the drum is that is what holds it on the drum, not the lug or loop that they attach it with.

~James

I'd be wary of doing something like that. Don't want it coming loose while you are pulling a Willys up a hill.

There should be no issues other than loosing a few feet of cable. The reason they say to leave four or five wraps on the drum is that is what holds it on the drum, not the lug or loop that they attach it with.

~James

+1

i found this but it says that clamps decrease the efficiency by 20% making my 9500 (9800 breaking) into a 7840 lbs line

Read all of that again. Its referring to the working end, not the end that is on the drum. Many winch manufactures simply clamp the end of the wire to the drum, and once you get 4-5 wraps on it, it will not pull off.

I guess we need to make sure what you are talking about. Are you saying the damaged/kinked area is at the end of the rope that is mounted to the drum, or is the damaged/kinked area at the end that would normally have a hook or shackle hooked to it?

If you are referring to the drum end, it will not matter so much about how you attach it to the drum. If you are referring to the 'hook' or working end, then you should not mess with trying to make a new loop, with clamps or with a mechanical splice.

I read your post as if you were referring to the drum end of the line, not the working end.

~James

Gotcha, never mind what I said then. I wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. Cables are cheap, or this is a good excuse to get a synthetic line. Thats what I did...

i think i might have a steel cable winchline layin' around... not sure if it went to the trash when mom went phsyco and made me get rid of Everything in the yard... i'll look around for it though...

I have 3 of them laying around. two of them have slight kinks in them, but I would use them again, and one is brand new never spooled (but I will be using that one. If you are interested in the other two, you can have them. Just gotta pick it up.

one is 92 feet, and the other is 125 or 150 (came off a 8724)

~James

Back