• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing drop bracket braces - how to get the studs out?

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the topic implies, I'm having a hell of a time getting those studs out of the frame rails where the crossmember bolts to. I've tried heat, double-nutting it, vice grips, tightening the nut to "break" the stud free, all with no avail. The threads on both studs are fubar now, and the passenger side one is now broken with maybe an 1/8" of it sticking out. A friend of mine suggesting heating the stud and holding a candle to it, letting the wax soak up into the threads past the nut, I haven't tried that yet but will tomorrow. I'm thinking that tack welding a nut onto each stud and then removing them like a bolt, but I don't have much access to a welder right now.

Otherwise, any ideas? Thanks.

mine were a booger too. took me 3 hours on one. i just stuck with it and pb blaster. worked for me.

I got them out with some PB blaster as well as grinding down two sides of the stud, 180 degrees apart to create 2 flat sided parallel surfaces where I could get a nice solid hold on them with an adjustable wrench\vice grips..

Even with the IL winters I was able to do this without spending more than 30 min on each side tops.

George T.
00XJ

gptrilik said:
I got them out with some PB blaster as well as grinding down two sides of the stud, 180 degrees apart to create 2 flat sided parallel surfaces where I could get a nice solid hold on them with an adjustable wrench\vice grips..

Even with the IL winters I was able to do this without spending more than 30 min on each side tops.

George T.
00XJ

hey, thats a good idea!!

Back