• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$46 for a plastic sensor!!!!!!

stoneyva21

NAXJA Forum User
so i killed my tps sensor last week while hydro locking up at rausch creek off road park. stopped into advance auto today to snag a new one. turns they had em and it was $46 for it. i thought ok this must be a nice alittle unit. nope its freakin plastic, and really cheap looking. of course i have to have it and buy no matter what it costs. at least the parts counter chick was kinda cute and was very nice to deal with.

it's a lot more than plastic - it's got tricksy little electronics bits inside. Prices still suck though.

EDIT: usually hall effect sensors (a magnetic field through a semiconductor with a voltage applied to it will produce a voltage perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the applied voltage! go science), though older vehicles used variable resistors. An engine compartment is no place to put sensitive electronics, sadly.

As long as the parts chick was cute, what more can you ask for? The guys at NAPA are all greasy and unshaven. Actually, that's a good price. Rock Auto wants $52 and shipping, and they are usually good for price.

Last edited:
i'm not heated about it. i just thought it was funny that the little tiny plastic thing cost as much as all the fluids i replaced.

damn entrance to "D", told lynn they should call it "stoney's hole"

so i killed my tps sensor last week while hydro locking up at rausch creek off road park. stopped into advance auto today to snag a new one. turns they had em and it was $46 for it. i thought ok this must be a nice alittle unit. nope its freakin plastic, and really cheap looking. of course i have to have it and buy no matter what it costs. at least the parts counter chick was kinda cute and was very nice to deal with.

Quit complaining. I manage a european car shop and I don't know of any sensor thats under a $100 on the euro cars.

Quit complaining. I manage a european car shop and I don't know of any sensor thats under a $100 on the euro cars.
you are talking retail prices he is talking wholesale prices I work for napa 46.00 sounds about right.

you are talking retail prices he is talking wholesale prices I work for napa 46.00 sounds about right.

I wasn't aware that Advance was selling wholesale over the front counter-
retail store= retail price

I believe he's talking about "retail" and the guy in the shop is charging closer to "list" price which would be an inflated price to cover the shop's expenses and cost of acquisition.

either way, $46.00 isn't too far out of whack around here for retail for the automatic trans. TPS.

So, why not pick up one up at the salvage yard, heck, pick up a few and have some spares--probably would have run you all of $5.

If the parts chick was kinda cute, you should have asked her out. Most places give employee's 20% off on parts. That was one of the few things I missed about working at an Advance in college. I'm sorta considering taking a 2nd part time job at a parts store just for the discount.

46 bucks is cheap, look up how much one costs for a stick.

I have heard of people paying $500,000 for plastic cars. And hear you are complaining about a $46 part with a plastic cover? Most sensors are plastic, you are not paying for the cover, but the sensor part.

Back