• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engines

pokeyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been gone for awhile, now that I'm back, I'm looking at my old 92 laredo xj. It needs an engine. I read about someone using a 99 4.0 but he was having problems with intakes, fuel rails and tb's. I have access to a low mile 96. Would this be any easier than the 99? Couls I use my old sensors, fuel rail and tb with it? Sorry, I couldn't find specifics anywhere. Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure a 96 should be a bolt up in your situation. The problems you have heard are between the Renix (90 & earlier) & the HO (91 & up). I would reuse the sensors from the old engine to be on the safe side (not sure if there is a diference).

I just put a 99 into my 95. The power steering bracket wouldn't work with the 99 intake. I swapped intakes, all sensors and the distributor wires. You will also have to drill and tap the thermostat housing for the temp sensor prob. Let me know if you have any questions. I just did this last weekend.

I put a 99 in my 91 and it wasn't hard at all. Basically the rule of thumb here is that if your 92 ECM talks to it, then it needs to be for your 92--so that means all sensors, injectors, fuel rail, distributor, etc. Everything else needs to be for the 99--power steering pump, exhaust, etc. The exception is the fuel rail which needs to integrate with your existing fuel distribution network, which means reusing the one from your 92.

It won't be any easier to put in a 96

Last edited:
Back