• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I am an Idiot!

JoeyClements

NAXJA Forum User
I have purchased a fairly modified 1996 2 door XJ with 4x4 auto 6Cyl.
I want to have a spare for parts although mine has had the 8.8 swap done. What years of XJ will parts swap or at least be useful? I want to be able to use some of the interior stuff like stearing colum and maybe seats but for sure some engine stuff. I may want to build the second motor while running the original and then swap. So what years or styles would you think would be my best bet?

All ideas welcome!

[email protected]
:firedevil

I believe 84-96 will mostly swap (I may be wrong on the start year there, not sure.)
97-99? will swap parts just fine.

Some 97+ parts will fit on a pre-97, but they may take more work to get working/adapted.

Most of the sheetmetal and body stuff is at least semi-swappable across the whole 84-01 range - door latches are, fenders/quarterpanels are I think, bumpers are but the endcaps might not be, all sorts of other stuff.

EDIT: what year is your non-parts vehicle?

The door latches are not swappable without door replacement and modification. 84-96 have a strike bolt system and 97+ have a loop latch system.

Try looking up Junkyard upgrades. That would give you the best options. Not sure what stuff you need to change on your XJ. If your lloking for spare parts try looking for a 92-96 2 door as your parts vehicle as that would give you the most swappable parts. Anything older would then get you a 21 spline output shaft on the trans and you'd have to modify transfercase or trans to work.

Last edited:
Back