• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jerking Steering in Tight Turns in 2WD, what is the cause?

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000Xj with a 231 T-case. I am experiencing a mild jerking in 2WD in slow speed turns in both right and left directions when I trunt he wheel past 3 and 9 o'clock. It feels a lot like the pull you get from turning sharply in part time 4WD on dry pavement but not as severe and my issues is happening in 2WD. I have a 3" lift (2" Old Man Emu plus 1" Spacer Front and 1" JKS Shackle Rear). I have an SYE installed and adjustable front control arms. I haven't noticed this until recently. I have tried shifting in and out of 4WD thinking maybe 4WD wasn't disengaging. When shifting into 4WD I usually shift my transmission into neutral while rolling 30-40 mph or less then shift between 2 and 4 wheel drive. But I am not sure if it is better to do the shifting the T-case while the transmission is in drive?

Anyway I am guessing from reading some threads my list of possible issues are as follows:

- T-Case not disengaging from 4WD
- Bad front axle U-joints
- Low ATF in T-case
- Driveshaft bind from incorrect pinion angle (Wouldn't think this likely since it started well after installing lift and adj. control arms)
- Poorly lubed driveshaft knuckles and steering linkage
- Loose caliper bolts causing brakes to grab (read this in a different thread, seems like a long shot)

What should I check first and what is most likely the problem? Any experience or ideas?
I appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Thanks!

Inability to shift out of 4-wheel drive is a "binding" issue. I don't recomend "high speed reverse starts"...but that may relieve the binding.

I'd check to be sure all tires are the same size and state of wear, and that all have equal air pressure (most common cause of transfer case bind). Then, make sure you're not trying to disengage in a turn or on dry pavement (gravel going straight is best).

Try a tight turn on gravel...watch/listen for wheel scrub...outside front will slide a little...this will indicate it's still in 4-wheel drive. Try backing and making S-turns...to bind/unbind transfer case. If this doesn't work...suspect linkage. With lifts and such (especially with t-case lowering kits) linkage needs to be adjusted. Adjustment is simple...follow Chilton's or Haynes instructions.

My money is on the bad front axle u-joints. I've bought and sold at least a half dozen XJ's that have had that problem. I replaced the front axle u-joints to solve the issue.

Probably u-joints.

U-joints are a maintenance item like tires or brakes. When they are worn, broken, or function poorly, you replace them. The are inexpensive and fairly simple to install. Buy some new u-joints and you you will good for another 100,000+ miles.

Back