• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serpentine belt broke, overheated. opinions?

abc20abc

NAXJA Forum User
So my serpentine belt snapped and it overheated. I drove it for a few miles while it was smoking until I could park it. I fixed the belt and it seems to be only running on 2 or so cylinders. Would you assume the engine is damaged or is there a possibility that the plugs could have fouled due to it overheating? Thanks for any input.

My call... you blew the head gasket. Let us know how it goes. Look around online if you do this job you can get a reman'd head for like $250 prob less. thats new valve stem seals, flat deck on her, and everything within factory tolerances. fully cleaned/painted ect. Def worth it.

Hell, just for fun pull all the plugs and see if she will pump coolant!

I had to get a head job done on the overheated 95 I bought. Cost $250 and I had to provide the seals(so $250 for one to your door is good).

This is not meant as an insult so please do not take it that way.

If you did not know how to diagnose the results of overheating you do not want to try to do the job on your own. You will save a lot of headaches to just have the job by somone qualified. This does not mean take it to the dealer. A local shop or a friend that has done the job before is fine.

Good luck

yeah a head gasket install while not terribly difficult, is an involved job and one must know what to look for and how to go about things in several instances while doing so. I'm not sure how much in labor that would cost anyone know? Like i said though i'd def splurge the few extra bucks for a reman'd head. b/c at minimum you will have to have the surface skimmed on the old head to make sure its flat. this will usually run around $50-60 for an aluminum head. I am not sure if that price is any different for the cast iron. So figure from there you are only $200 or so away at that time from a totally 'new' head. I've had good luck w/ these guys for a GREAT price. That was on a 1.8 8v vw head though. http://www.aluminumcylinderhead.com however, hence the name i'm unsure they could help us out.

BTW are all cylinder heads for the 4.0 cast iron or were the 2000's and 2001's aluminum?

Back