• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control will not set (yes, I searched)

DallasE46

NAXJA Forum User
I read about 7-8 threads and nothing helped, so here is what I have so far.

1996 Country with Factroy Cruise control.

The light lights up on the steering wheel when I push it. Yet the cruise will not set at any speeds above or below 30mph. Yes, I have good vacuum with no leaks.

I have checked the switch at the steering wheel: Removed the switch, checked it, and it functions fine. I then checked the wires under the steering column with the engine running and I am getting appropriate signals.

I replaced the Vacuum actuator with the cable on it from a junk yard unit.

I have not been able to find anything about the cruise control in my Haynes manual except the wiring diagrams.

I have been under the dash for 20 minutes and can't find any kind of separate fuse or the "yellow box".

The only things I can think of are: brake switch works but does it have a faulty cruise control circuit in it? bad actuator from junk yard? Cruise control in the ECU is bad? Mysterious fuse somewhere is blown?

Please help!!!!

i have the same problems, though on a 92 so no dash light, i have tried a new turn signal stalk, vacum actuator, and the brake light switch, and nothing worked.
its very frustrating, i did replace the brake light switch and the vacum actuator, with junkyard ones, so they could be bad, but i doubt it, both were out of very good condition vehicles.

i have no good solution for you, just im in the same situation :(

check all of the vacuum lines. mine hadnt worked in a while. lights lite up acuator got voltage but no vacuum. fixed the vacuum and it works awesome now

On my 90, there is an additional switch high up on the brake pedal arm, it is almost impossible to see, but it is there. It is mounted on a bracket and and the pedal arm actuates a push button instead of an arm like the brake switch. It has an electrical and a vacuum function. you can check the vacuum by rremoving the line from the cruise actuator and placing your thumb over the end while someone pushes the brake pedal. you should feel the vacuum come on and go off when the pedal is pumped with the cruise control on. On my truck, the switch had been knocked back in the bracket and the push button never contacted the brake pedal arm, so no vacuum was ever ported to the actuator, therefore, no cruise....adjusted the switch and all is well.....

Does anyone know if a 97 has the same said switch on the break pedal? I swear my 97's cruise worked the night I drove it home, and has not since worked. I get the dash light when I turn it on, but it will not set.

Does anyone know if a 97 has the same said switch on the break pedal? I swear my 97's cruise worked the night I drove it home, and has not since worked. I get the dash light when I turn it on, but it will not set.

No it does not. That extra switch was just for the older non-HO Renix jeeps, where everything was just kinda thrown together instead of properly intergrated. Another prime example of that was the dual output TPS sensor, because the engine computer wanted to see 0->5 volts and the trans computer wanted 5->0 volts.

Back