• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential slider, need your opinion on design

bobfortier

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

I got an 8.25 on the bench, and I want to make me a diff slider, similar to what Nth degree offers. So I came up with this shape at first

Diffslider1.jpg

Diffslider2.jpg

Then, looking at it, I was thinking of something. Why not incorporate a diff cover guard ? Being 3D the whole assembly would be very stiff, even in 3/16, and it could bolt around the axle with u-bolts, and I will come up with something for the front. I would re-inforce the front portion under the yoke, and the whole thing can be removed in a matter of minutes. I will cut some hole in the 2 corners for dirt to evacuate.

What do you think ? (the good and the bad)

Diffslider3.jpg

Diffslider4.jpg

I think it looks Great!

I am not a Fabricator, however, I think the two U-Bolt Mounts could be a little longer. Will the U-Bolt Mounts have Holes for the U-Bolts to go through or are you designing it so the U-Bolts go around those Mounts?

Maybe the Front could have a Bar across the Guard and Two 8 Grade Bolts to sandwich it to another Bar across the Bottom of the Third Member.

Sorry, I'm not good at Fabrication, however, I hopes this may help you come up with an Idea.

cher96 Vicki

Last edited:
It looks pretty strong. You will lose a fair bit of clearance if you haven't shaved the diff reinforcing rib on the bottom of the housing, though

Shave the housing and call it good. You'll loose clearence building a skid for it that goes back that far. IF you built something just for the yoke that would work great for still having clearence under the housing.

2 cents.

I think it makes sense. Who cares if you lose clearance? Without the skid you may be able to go over a rock that's 1/2" taller, but are you going to get out and measure each rock? Better to have the skid, slide over a couple more rocks, and not damage your pumpkin

I think it makes sense. Who cares if you lose clearance? Without the skid you may be able to go over a rock that's 1/2" taller, but are you going to get out and measure each rock? Better to have the skid, slide over a couple more rocks, and not damage your pumpkin

i agree

If he shaves the lip off the bottom of the housing will be smooth like a skid, without the loss of clearence. Good luck splitting one of those cases by dragging it over a rock.

Shave the housing and call it good. You'll loose clearence building a skid for it that goes back that far. IF you built something just for the yoke that would work great for still having clearence under the housing.

2 cents.

x2.

Get a good diff cover, pinion guard if you really need one and that's it. Clearance is key. You're not going to crack that housing on a rock unless it falls off a cliff.

Shave it, then make a ring to hold it that bolts on using the diff cover bolts.
If you use 3/16" steel, you'll lose a 3/16" of clearance. I wouldn't be too worried about that if I were you.

never had an issue dragging my axles over a billiondy rocks, get a heavy duty diff cover and call it good

if your axle hangs too low it will eventually shave itself i have lost a considerable amount on my rear dana60. ill worry about when it wears through in 10 years

The bottom of the 8.25 is flat across the "ears". If you put a slight bend in the bottom plate of yout skid to make it level when it gets to that shelf, you could drill and tap mount holes on the outside of the ears. Run flush head bolts up through tapered holes in the plate, and it would be solidly mounted to the back of the center section. If you want to get spiffy, you can easily trim 3/16" of the bottom of the center section. Using 1/4"plate, you'd only loose 1/16" across the bottom of the center section.

Back